Simplifying switching circuit literals

In summary, the problem is given in the picture attached and it is a network of switches. The Attempt at a Solution is to simplify the expression to 9 literals, but has been unsuccessful.
toforfiltum

Homework Statement

The problem is given in the picture attached. It is a network of switches.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to simplify the expression to this:

## (S + x'(w+y) + xvz)(x'+y)(v+z') ##

but I just can't find a way to simplify it to 9 literals. I've tried all different methods I can think of, but I just can't find the trick.

The last method I came up with(that I thought was pretty close) was this:
##S(x'+y)(v+z')+(xvzy+x'y(v+z')+xvzy)##

I tried to multiply out the expressions to the right of ##S##, hoping that I could eliminate the duplicate literals. I thought that by adding the extra literal ##xvzy## I could eliminate more literals, but this approach didn't work. I'm really stuck. I have been trying this for hours. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2301Q4(c).JPG
    2301Q4(c).JPG
    20 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
toforfiltum said:
##(S+x′(w+y)+xvz)(x′+y)(v+z)##
Can you explain how to count the literals in this expression?

NascentOxygen said:
Can you explain how to count the literals in this expression?
I would count the number of terms in a SOP form. Would that be right? So I think I may be wrong, 9 circuit elements means just 9 switches?

Where does the goal of fewer than 9 come from? Are you given the answer?

I count 7 literals in your expression I quoted.

I'm sorry, although I now understand the distinction, I still can't get the right answer
NascentOxygen said:
Where does the goal of fewer than 9 come from? Are you given the answer?

I count 7 literals in your expression I quoted.
I'm not too sure if I know what the question asks, but it states that the final form needs to be simplified to 9 switching elements. And no, I don't have the answer.

Does a switching element correspond to a single switch? If so, I must simplify it to 9 switches.

Nine switches sounds a reasonable goal. Before you spend many hours trying to simplify to 9, it might be worth demonstrating that ##(S+x′(w+y)+xvz)(x′+y)(v+z)## does still correctly correspond to your original figure, perhaps test both for a couple of sets of arbitrary inputs. It would be easy to have an error creep in.

1. What is the purpose of simplifying switching circuit literals?

The purpose of simplifying switching circuit literals is to reduce the complexity of the circuit and make it easier to analyze and understand. This can also lead to cost savings in terms of the number of components needed to build the circuit.

2. How is the process of simplifying switching circuit literals done?

The process of simplifying switching circuit literals involves applying Boolean algebra rules and laws to reduce the number of literals and terms in the circuit expression. This can be done manually or with the help of computer programs such as Karnaugh maps.

3. Can simplifying switching circuit literals affect the functionality of the circuit?

Yes, simplifying switching circuit literals can change the functionality of the circuit. It is important to carefully analyze the circuit and make sure that the simplification does not alter the desired logic of the circuit.

4. What are some common methods used for simplifying switching circuit literals?

Some common methods used for simplifying switching circuit literals include Boolean algebra, Karnaugh maps, and Quine-McCluskey method. These methods can also be combined for more complex circuits.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to simplifying switching circuit literals?

One potential drawback of simplifying switching circuit literals is that it can increase the number of gates and introduce more complexity in the circuit. This can also lead to increased power consumption and slower circuit performance. Therefore, it is important to strike a balance between simplification and circuit efficiency.