Simplifying a Circuit Using a Y-to-Δ Transformation

In summary, the Y-to-Δ transformation makes this circuit easier to work with because it simplifies the network.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

[/B]
A.) Simplify the circuit (Figure 1) by using a Y-to-Δ transformation involving the resistors R2, R3, and R5 as shown in (Figure 2) . Determine the resistances of the equivalent Δ.

B.) Determine the equivalent resistance Rab in the circuit.

Hopefully these two figures show up. If not, just say so and I'll try to fix them.

Figure 1.
Nilsson10.ch3.p58_1.jpg

Figure 2.

Nilsson10.ch3.p58_2.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've simplified the circuit and found:
Ra = 154 Ω
Rb = 92.4 Ω
Rc = 18 Ω 118 Ω

I know these values are correct. My problem is with part B. Now that I've got the resistance of the 3 new resistors, I'm unsure about how to find the equivalent resistance between terminals a and b. What about this Y-to-Δ transformation makes this circuit easier to work with?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like Ra and R1 are in parallel. R4 is in parallel with Rc.

Does that help?

Likes Drakkith and cnh1995
magoo said:
It looks like Ra and R1 are in parallel. R4 is in parallel with Rc.

Does that help?

R1 looks like it is in parallel with Ra and Rb+Rc, which wouldn't be a problem except that there's a node connecting Rb to the other side of R4, which is in series with R1.

Drakkith said:
What about this Y-to-Δ transformation makes this circuit easier to
As magoo showed, you can see it converts the network into a simplified circuit (series or parallel resistances).
Drakkith said:
R1 looks like it is in parallel with Ra and Rb+Rc, which wouldn't be a problem except that there's a node connecting Rb to the other side of R4, which is in series with R1.
No two (individual) resistances are in series in this network.

Likes Drakkith
cnh1995 said:
As magoo showed, you can see it converts the network into a simplified circuit (series or parallel resistances).

Oh I see it now. I see that R1 and Ra are in parallel, and it looks like R4 and Rc are in parallel too, as Magoo said.

cnh1995 said:
No two (individual) resistances are in series in this network.

Ah, that's right.

Drakkith said:
Oh I see it now. I see that R1 and Ra are in parallel, and it looks like R4 and Rc are in parallel too, as Magoo said.
If you have time, you can try solving the same problem using
i)wye-delta transform on R1, R3 and R4
ii) delta-wye transform on R1, R2 and R3.
You'll see how they simplify the network.

Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
A.) Simplify the circuit (Figure 1) by using a Y-to-Δ transformation involving the resistors R2, R3, and R5 as shown in (Figure 2) . Determine the resistances of the equivalent Δ.

B.) Determine the equivalent resistance Rab in the circuit.

Hopefully these two figures show up. If not, just say so and I'll try to fix them.

Figure 1.
View attachment 211331

Figure 2.

View attachment 211332

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've simplified the circuit and found:
Ra = 154 Ω
Rb = 92.4 Ω
Rc = 18 Ω

I know these values are correct. My problem is with part B. Now that I've got the resistance of the 3 new resistors, I'm unsure about how to find the equivalent resistance between terminals a and b. What about this Y-to-Δ transformation makes this circuit easier to work with?

I don't think your 3 values for Ra, Rb and Rc are corrrect. One can work backwards with a delta to wye transformation and get the original R2, R3 and R5. If I do this I get:

Since you didn't give a value for R2 in post #1 we can't compare one of the three to it, but two of the three just calculated should equal 50 and 30 (R3 and R5); they don't. How do you know your values are correct?

Likes Drakkith and NascentOxygen
The Electrician said:
Since you didn't give a value for R2 in post #1 we can't compare one of the three to it

My apologies, I had forgotten that they don't give us the value of R2 in the figure, but in the previous question. I assume it changes for every student and they didn't want to make a different figure for each person.

For this question R2 = 39 Ω.

Also, it appears I made a typo in my original post. Rc = 118 Ω, not 18.

The Electrician said:
How do you know your values are correct?

The online program we're using for class had me find those values prior to this question and it says they are correct. I just didn't double-check my post closely enough to make sure I hadn't made any typos.

Alright, I finally got the right answer.

R1 in parallel with Ra: R1a= 37.745 Ω
R4 in parallel with Rc: R4c= 17.101 Ω

R1a4c in parallel with Rb: R1a4cb = 34.417 Ω

Req between terminals a and b: Req = 34.417 + 7 + 13 = 54.417 Ω

Thanks all. Sorry for the confusion.

What is a Y-to-Δ transformation and why is it used?

A Y-to-Δ transformation is a circuit simplification technique that is used to convert a complex network of resistors into a simpler equivalent network. It is often used in circuit analysis to reduce the number of components and make calculations easier.

How does a Y-to-Δ transformation work?

The conversion involves replacing a series of resistors connected in a Y or "star" pattern with an equivalent set of resistors connected in a Δ or "delta" pattern. This is done by using a set of equations that relate the resistances in the Y and Δ configurations.

What are the benefits of using a Y-to-Δ transformation?

There are several benefits to using this technique. It simplifies the circuit, making it easier to analyze and calculate values such as current and voltage. It also reduces the number of components, making the circuit more compact and cost-effective. Additionally, it can help identify symmetries and patterns in the circuit, making it easier to understand and troubleshoot.

In what situations is a Y-to-Δ transformation most useful?

This technique is most useful when dealing with circuits that have a large number of resistors connected in a Y pattern. It is commonly used in power systems, where there are many parallel branches of resistors. It can also be helpful in analyzing filter circuits and other complex networks.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a Y-to-Δ transformation?

While this technique can be very useful, it is important to note that there are some limitations. It can only be applied to circuits that have a Y-shaped resistor configuration, and it is not applicable to circuits with active components such as transistors. Additionally, the transformation may introduce some error in the calculations, so it is important to double-check the results.