1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying the integral of dirac delta functions

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    hello all,
    i am unaware of how to handle a delta function. from what i read online the integral will be 1 from one point to another since at zero the "function" is infinite. overall though i dont think i know the material well enough to trust my answer. and help on how to take the integral of a dirac delta function would be much appreciated. the kind of problems im dealing with are similar to
    [tex]\int[/tex]e^(-x^2) [tex]\delta[/tex](x+1)[1-cos(5 (pi/2) x)] dx from -infinity to 0
    for this i solved the delta function for when x+1=0 since that is the only time when the function will have a value. i then subbed -1 for all x's and took the integral, assuming the delta function became 1.
    thank you very much for help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hello sleventh! :smile:

(have a delta: δ :wink:)
    no, there's no integral in the result …

δ is defined by the property ∫ δ(x) f(x) dx = f(0) for any f.

Put F(x) = f(x-1).

Then ∫ δ(x+1) f(x) dx = ∫ δ(x) f(x-1) dx = ∫ δ(x) F(x) dx = F(0) = f(-1). :wink:

Do you see how the δ function gets rid of the integral? :smile:

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3
    hey tiny-tim. thank you very much. that clears up a lot. so if you were to be taking the integral of the above problem from limits 0-∞ (thanks for the copy and paste) would the problem have the same solution as -∞ -0 because you are still subbing in 0 to the f(x-1) adaptation of the function?

5. Oct 21, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi sleventh! :smile:

Any limits have to strictly include the zero of what's inside the δ (which in this case is -1) …

so it can be ∫-∞ or ∫-∞0 or ∫-20,

but not ∫0 or even ∫-1 or ∫-∞-1 :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook