Simulate a VCVS by writing this netlist on PSpice

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to simulate a VCVS using a netlist on PSpice, but encountering an error. They have tried destroying all, running, and printing all, but are still getting an error related to a .TF statement not recognizing a node name as an independent source. They are seeking help in identifying the error.
Danfor
Hello,

Im trying to simulate a VCVS by writing this netlist on PSpice:

***Voltage controlled voltage sources(VCVS)***

*#destroy all
*#run
*#print all

.TF V(Vout,0) Vin

Vin Vin 0 DC 1
R1 Vb 0 3K
R2 Vt Vout 1K
R3 Vout 0 2k
E1 Vt Vb Vin 0 23

.end

But it keeps giving me an error and I am not sure why?
*#destroy all
*#run
*#print all

.TF V(Vout,0) Vin
-----------$
ERROR -- Must be independent source (I or V)

Vin Vin 0 DC 1
R1 Vb 0 3K
R2 Vt Vout 1K
R3 Vout 0 2k
E1 Vt Vb Vin 0 23

.end

Can someone point me out the error please?

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It apparently thinks that something in the .TF statement is an undeclared voltage or current source, rather than just a node name.

1. How do I write a netlist on PSpice for simulating a VCVS?

To write a netlist on PSpice for a VCVS simulation, you need to follow these steps:
1. Open the PSpice software and create a new project.
2. Draw the circuit of the VCVS using the available components in PSpice.
3. Assign values to the components and label them with appropriate names.
4. Select the "PSPICE" tab and click on "New Simulation Profile".
5. Choose "AC Sweep" as the analysis type and set the frequency range and step size.
6. Click on "Add Trace" and select the voltage or current you want to plot.
7. Save the netlist and run the simulation.
8. The results will be displayed in the form of graphs.

2. What is a VCVS and why is it important to simulate it on PSpice?

A VCVS (Voltage-Controlled Voltage Source) is a linear circuit element that produces an output voltage proportional to its input voltage. It is commonly used in electronic circuits as an amplifier, attenuator, or modulator.
Simulating a VCVS on PSpice is important because it allows engineers and scientists to analyze the behavior and performance of the circuit before actually building it. This helps in identifying any potential issues and optimizing the circuit design for better results.

3. How do I assign values to the components in the netlist for a VCVS simulation on PSpice?

To assign values to the components in the netlist, you need to use the appropriate symbols and follow the standard notation. For example, for a resistor with a value of 1kΩ, you would use "R1 1 0 1k" in the netlist, where R1 is the name of the resistor, 1 and 0 are the node numbers, and 1k is the value in ohms.

4. Can I plot multiple variables in a VCVS simulation on PSpice?

Yes, you can plot multiple variables in a VCVS simulation on PSpice. In the "Add Trace" window, you can select the desired voltage or current variables and add them to the plot. You can also customize the plot by changing the color, scale, and display properties.

5. How can I troubleshoot errors in a VCVS netlist simulation on PSpice?

If you encounter errors while simulating a VCVS netlist on PSpice, you can follow these steps to troubleshoot:
1. Check for any typos or incorrect syntax in the netlist.
2. Make sure all the components and connections are properly labeled and assigned values.
3. Check for any short circuits or open circuits in the circuit diagram.
4. Try changing the simulation settings, such as the frequency range or step size.
5. If the error persists, consult the PSpice user manual or seek help from online forums or communities.