Simulate FST3126 4x bus switch in multisim

• Thread starter FrankJ777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bus Switch
In summary, the conversation discusses using a FST3126 4x bus switch in Multisim and confusion surrounding its functionality. The component is not available in the program and the user plans to use the component wizard to create it. The data sheet logic diagram shows that the component acts as 4 switched inputs on the A side to outputs on the B side. The switches are closed by asserting a high on OE1-4, creating a "short" from A side to B side. However, another post indicated that the outputs can only be between 0V to VCC, causing confusion about whether the component is functioning as a simple switch or with FETs. The conversation also touches on determining the type of FETs
FrankJ777
I'm need to simulate a circuit with a FST3126 4x bus switch in Multisim. I was planning on using the component wizard to make an FST3126 as it's not one of there components, but I'm not sure how it works. Looking at the data sheet logic diagram I though the component acted like 4 switched inputs on the A side to outputs on the B side. I assumed that the switches were closed by asserting a high on OE1-4, and that closing the switch would essentially create a "short" from the A side to the B side. Reading another post though, it indicated that the outputs of the FST3126 could only be between 0V to VCC. So this would not seem like simple switched, but maybe FETs?? I'm not sure what the logic diagram is supposed to indicate. I'm hoping someone can enlighten me. I've attached part of the data sheet, and you can find the full datasheet here: http://http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FS/FST3126.pdf

Thanks

Attachments

• fst3126.jpg
    fst3126.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 679
Engineering news on Phys.org
What is meant by a simple switch?

Sorry.
By simple switch a meant that when open there is infinite resistance between the A side inputs and B side outputs; when the switch is closed there is a short circuit between the A side inputs and B sides outputs.
Also I meant that the OE leads open or close the switch completely, instead varying the resistance of the paths between the inputs and outputs, or amplifying the inputs.

Those are FETs in the block diagram.

So would they be N channel or P channel? Also how can you determine which leads are the source and which are the drain?

I'm not sure where your confusion lies. From the datasheet:
When OE is HIGH, the switch is ON and Port A is connected to Port B. When OE is LOW, the switch is OPEN and a high-impedance state exists between the two ports.

I don't know Multisim, but for simulation purposes you can just treat them as either on or off.

The confusion is because in another post someone said the output at the B side can only be in the range of 0V to VCC. This does not seem like Port A is connected to port B when the switch is closed. For instance what happens when port A is negative?
Also the confusion is because they are using a symbol that looks kind of like a FET. I would think that if functionally port A is connected to port B when OE is high, they would have used for symbols that look like switches instead of FETs.

FrankJ777 said:
The confusion is because in another post someone said the output at the B side can only be in the range of 0V to VCC. This does not seem like Port A is connected to port B when the switch is closed. For instance what happens when port A is negative?
Also the confusion is because they are using a symbol that looks kind of like a FET. I would think that if functionally port A is connected to port B when OE is high, they would have used for symbols that look like switches instead of FETs.
It's funny because I can't think of a better symbol for a switch than a FET. But you're right, it's not an ideal switch. If you look at the datasheet (again), the ON-resistance of the FETs are 4Ω and they recommend input/output voltages between 0V and 5V. If you can't live with that you need to find another chip.

1. What is the purpose of simulating a 4x bus switch in multisim?

The purpose of simulating a 4x bus switch in multisim is to test and analyze the behavior of the switch in a virtual environment before implementing it in a physical circuit. This allows for potential issues or errors to be identified and corrected before the circuit is built, saving time and resources.

2. How do I set up a simulation for the FST3126 4x bus switch in multisim?

To set up a simulation for the FST3126 4x bus switch in multisim, you will need to create a new schematic and add the switch component to the circuit. Then, you will need to provide input signals and specify the desired output connections. Finally, you can run the simulation and analyze the results.

3. What parameters should I consider when simulating the FST3126 4x bus switch?

When simulating the FST3126 4x bus switch, you should consider the voltage levels and timing of the input signals, the switching speed and delay of the switch, and the load and capacitance of the connected circuits. It is also important to ensure that the switch is properly configured and connected in the circuit.

4. Are there any limitations to simulating the FST3126 4x bus switch in multisim?

As with any simulation, there may be some limitations when simulating the FST3126 4x bus switch in multisim. These limitations could include inaccuracies in the simulation model or differences in the behavior of the switch in a physical circuit. It is important to validate the simulation results with actual measurements when possible.

5. How can I troubleshoot any issues that arise during the simulation of the FST3126 4x bus switch?

If you encounter any issues during the simulation of the FST3126 4x bus switch, you can try adjusting the input signals, checking the switch configuration and connections, and verifying that the simulation settings are correct. It may also be helpful to refer to the manufacturer's datasheet for further guidance on using the switch in a simulation. If the issue persists, you may need to consult with an expert or conduct further testing to identify the problem.