1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simulating a NAND/AND gate in Emitter Coupled Logic?

1. Mar 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to simulate a AND/NAND gate with Emitter Coupled Logic. As i'm sure that most of you know, ECL is mostly used to make OR/NOR gates, so finding out how to make a NAND/AND gate is not as easy as it sounds.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I attached an image of a possible model that I found online. However, how do I know which values I should put in order to make the circuit work? How do I know which voltages should be in VBB1, VBB2, etc?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I did a web search and VBB is the bias voltage use to determine if an input is "true" or "false", but I couldn't find the specific voltages.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  4. Mar 10, 2013 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5. Mar 10, 2013 #4
  6. Mar 10, 2013 #5

rcgldr

Homework Helper

True, but it does show that VBB for Q3 is -1.29V, while VCC is -5.2V, the same as your AND / NAND circuit. In general, VBB is set to the middle of the .8 voltage difference beween a logic "0" and a logic "1". I found an ECL document that specifies the voltage range for VBB as well as the other voltage ranges:

https://smartech.gatech.edu/jspui/bitstream/1853/32110/1/PG_TR_050518_RJP.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Mar 11, 2013 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it will be slightly different for the NAND because if you follow the path from INB to VBB2 there is an aditional Vbe compared to a NOR. It goes...

INA - Vbe -Vbe +Vbe = VBB2

So set INA to mid way between logic 1 and 0 and you can calculate VBB2.

For INB it's..

INB - Vbe + Vbe = VBB1

Basically the principle is that of a differential amp/long tailed pair configured as a comparator (eg one input fixed voltage).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_amplifier

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted