Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simulating e&m wave propagation

1. Aug 12, 2013 #1
    Hello everyone.

I'm really struggling to simulate a cavity problem.

My goal is to be able to know what's going to happen if i introduce spatially dependent phase inbetween mirrors of a cavity that supports certain transverse modes.

Well, i believe solving for eigenmodes of a cavity is near impossible.

If you guys know something about this sort of challenge or know any good e&m simulators, could you direct me to it?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2013 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Aren't programs such as Microwave Studio designed to do just that?

Programs and codes doing this are quite common in accelerator physics, since one has to deal with RF structures all the time, and having fields with different modes. So if you know of any accelerator physics group, those are the people you might want to ask.

Zz.

4. Aug 12, 2013 #3
    i have looked at Microwave Studio and COMSOL.

there websites dont seem to sell them..

do you know where i can purchase these products?

5. Aug 14, 2013 #4

ChristinaJ

Gold Member

I found this link http://www.edaboard.com/thread180440.html a while ago. It lists some free software. If you want COMSOL etc you have to contact the company direct to get a price list. There's normally an online request form and a sales person will contact you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook