Simulating this cascoded NMOS logic circuit

• Engineering
  • Thread starter elektro2021
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit Logic
In summary, the digital integrated circuit designer needs to size the circuit so that it achieves a delay of 50-50 using 0.25 μm devices while driving a 100 fF load.
elektro2021
New poster has been reminded to always show their work when starting schoolwork threads
Homework Statement
Size and simulate the circuit (IMAGE BELOW) so that it achieves a 100 ps delay (50-50) using 0.25 μm devices, while driving a 100 fF load on both differential outputs. (VDD = 2.5V) Assume A, B and their complements are available as inputs.
Relevant Equations
vailable common data for nmos are following Vt=0.43(V),Vdsat=0.63(V),k'=115x10^-6 (A/V^2),lambda=0.06(v^-1)
I need help for following exercise from Rabaey - Digital Integrated Circuits: A Design Perspective

Size and simulate the circuit (IMAGE BELOW) so that it achieves a 100 ps delay (50-50) using 0.25 μm devices, while driving a 100 fF load on both differential outputs. (VDD = 2.5V) Assume A, B and their complements are available as inputs.
Available common data for nmos are following Vt=0.43(V),Vdsat=0.63(V),k'=115x10^-6 (A/V^2),lambda=0.06(v^-1)
Please help me.
2022-02-04_100733.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Have you yet identified the two input logic function with a complementary output ?
How will you simulate the gate and delay ?

Welcome to PF. :smile:

You need to show some effort before we can provide tutorial help. Please show us how you will approach this question.

Also, I'm a little confused by this symbol in the middle of your NMOS logic circuit -- what is it meant to represent? Is it some IP that is defined elsewhere in the problem statement?

1644244984698.png

berkeman said:
Also, I'm a little confused by this symbol in the middle of your NMOS logic circuit
It is a memory element made from two soft output inverters.
It retains the last valid state of the gate, so prevents floating inputs consuming current.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Ah, it's a "keeper" circuit. Got it, thanks @Baluncore :smile:

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.
Have you yet identified the two input logic function with a complementary output ?
How will you simulate the gate and delay ?
I think it's a XOR port for Y and XNOR for Y negate.I don't want to simulate the circuit by a simulator but I want to size (by hand) W/L for NMOS transistors to get a 100 ps delay (50-50) using 0.25 μm devices, while driving a 100 fF load on both differential outputs.

elektro2021 said:
I don't want to simulate the circuit by a simulator but I want to size (by hand) W/L for NMOS transistors to get a 100 ps delay (50-50) using 0.25 μm devices, while driving a 100 fF load on both differential outputs.
Okay, can you show us how you are going to approach that?

elektro2021 said:
I want to size (by hand)
Have you attempted to do that yet?

I think that I need to compute current charge/discharge for 100 fF capacitor...what do you think?

Any help?

elektro2021 said:
Any help?
You go first... :wink:

I think that Ic=C*(dv/dt) con C=100 fF and dv/dt= (VDD/2)/T con T=100ps and VDD=2.5V...what do you think?

So after you determine the voltages and currents involved, how will you choose the aspect ratio for your geometry?

elektro2021 said:
I want to size (by hand) W/L for NMOS transistors to get a 100 ps delay (50-50) using 0.25 μm devices

I don't know...I think that NMOS current depends by W/L...please help me

We *are* trying to help. What do your class notes say about aspect ratio effects on voltages and currents?

1. What is a cascoded NMOS logic circuit?

A cascoded NMOS logic circuit is a type of logic circuit that uses a cascode configuration, where two NMOS transistors are connected in series, to achieve higher gain and improved performance.

2. How does a cascoded NMOS logic circuit work?

In a cascoded NMOS logic circuit, the first transistor acts as a load for the second transistor, allowing for a larger voltage swing and reducing the effects of parasitic capacitances. This results in improved performance and higher gain.

3. What are the advantages of using a cascoded NMOS logic circuit?

The main advantages of using a cascoded NMOS logic circuit include higher gain, improved performance, and reduced sensitivity to parasitic capacitances. It also allows for the use of smaller transistors, reducing the overall size and cost of the circuit.

4. How do you simulate a cascoded NMOS logic circuit?

To simulate a cascoded NMOS logic circuit, you will need to use a circuit simulation software, such as LTspice or Cadence. You will need to input the circuit schematic, along with the necessary parameters for the transistors and other components, and then run the simulation to analyze the circuit's behavior.

5. What are some potential applications of a cascoded NMOS logic circuit?

A cascoded NMOS logic circuit can be used in a variety of applications, including digital logic circuits, amplifiers, and voltage regulators. It is also commonly used in integrated circuits (ICs) to improve performance and reduce power consumption.