Sin theta= sin theta tan theta

In summary: So the solutions are θ = 0, π/2, π, 3π/2, 2π.In summary, when solving the equation sinθ = sinθ tanθ over the domain theta greater than or equal to 0 and less than or equal to 2 pi, it is important to rewrite the equation and factor the left side in order to avoid losing solutions. The solutions for this equation are θ = 0, π/2, π, 3π/2, 2π.
Coco12
Problem statement
Solve each equation over the domain theta greater than or equal to 0, less than or equal to 2 pi:

Revelant equations

Problem statement

I divided it by sin theta to get tan theta equal to 1. Tan theta=1 can occur in the first and third quadrant. So from there I solve accordingly. Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Coco12 said:
Problem statement
Solve each equation over the domain theta greater than or equal to 0, less than or equal to 2 pi:

Revelant equations

Problem statement

I divided it by sin theta to get tan theta equal to 1. Tan theta=1 can occur in the first and third quadrant. So from there I solve accordingly. Is this right?
What about the sinθ?

Coco12 said:
No.
When you divide both sides by sinθ, you lose solutions. Instead, rewrite the equation like so -
sinθ - sinθ tanθ = 0
and then factor the left side.

Mark44 said:
No.
When you divide both sides by sinθ, you lose solutions. Instead, rewrite the equation like so -
sinθ - sinθ tanθ = 0
and then factor the left side.

Oh... I see it now.

1. What is the meaning of the equation "Sin theta = sin theta tan theta"?

This equation means that the sine of an angle theta is equal to the product of the sine and tangent of the same angle theta.

2. How is "Sin theta = sin theta tan theta" used in trigonometry?

This equation is commonly used to solve for unknown angles or sides in a right triangle, by using the trigonometric identities of sine and tangent.

3. Can "Sin theta = sin theta tan theta" be simplified?

Yes, this equation can be simplified by dividing both sides by sin theta, resulting in tan theta = 1.

4. Are there any restrictions on using "Sin theta = sin theta tan theta"?

Yes, this equation can only be applied to right triangles, as it is based on the trigonometric functions of sine and tangent which are specific to right angles.

5. How does "Sin theta = sin theta tan theta" relate to the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. By using this equation, we can also show that sin^2 theta + tan^2 theta = 1, which is a form of the Pythagorean Theorem.