Sinc^2 as a delta function representation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proportionality between the limit of a function and the delta function, specifically when dealing with sinc^2. The conversation also mentions the need for a constant normalization and suggests a representation that achieves the desired result.
Loro
OP notified about the compulsory use of the homework template.
Hi, it's actually not homework but a part of my research.

I intuitively see that:

[itex] \lim_{t \rightarrow \infty} \frac{sin^2[(x-a)t]}{(x-a)^2} \propto \delta(x-a) [/itex]

I know it's certainly true of [itex]sinc[/itex], but I couldn't find any information about [itex]sinc^2[/itex]. Could someone give me a hint on how I could prove it, and find the proportionality coefficient?

Physics news on Phys.org
Loro said:
Hi, it's actually not homework but a part of my research.

I intuitively see that:

[itex] \lim_{t \rightarrow \infty} \frac{sin^2[(x-a)t]}{(x-a)^2} \propto \delta(x-a) [/itex]

I know it's certainly true of [itex]sinc[/itex], but I couldn't find any information about [itex]sinc^2[/itex]. Could someone give me a hint on how I could prove it, and find the proportionality coefficient?

A representation of the delta function should have integral 1. Put a=0 and integrate it. You'll find it needs more than just a constant normalization.

Thanks, so it seems:

[itex]\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{\pi t} \frac{sin^2[(x-a)t]}{(x-a)^2}[/itex]

does what I want.

Loro said:
Thanks, so it seems:

[itex]\lim_{t \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{\pi t} \frac{sin^2[(x-a)t]}{(x-a)^2}[/itex]

does what I want.

Sounds right.

1. What is a delta function?

A delta function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is zero everywhere except at one point. At that point, the function has an infinite value but has an integral of 1, making it a useful tool for representing point-like objects in physics and engineering.

2. How is the delta function related to sinc^2?

The sinc^2 function is a squared version of the sinc function, which is defined as the sine of a value divided by that value. When squared, the resulting function has a peak at the origin and decays towards zero on either side. This shape is similar to the delta function, leading to the use of sinc^2 as a representation of the delta function in certain situations.

3. What is the significance of using sinc^2 as a delta function representation?

Sinc^2 as a delta function representation has several advantages in mathematical and physical applications. It is a continuous function that can approximate the properties of a delta function, making it easier to work with in calculations. Additionally, sinc^2 has a simple Fourier transform that can be used to solve differential equations and other problems.

4. How is sinc^2 used in signal processing?

In signal processing, sinc^2 is often used to model the impulse response of a low-pass filter. This is because the impulse response of a low-pass filter resembles a sinc^2 function, and the sinc^2 function can be used to approximate the ideal impulse response of the filter.

5. Can sinc^2 be used to represent other functions besides the delta function?

Yes, sinc^2 can be used to represent other functions besides the delta function. In fact, sinc^2 can be used as a basis function to represent any continuous function, similar to how the Fourier series uses sine and cosine functions as basis functions. This means that sinc^2 can be used to approximate any function, making it a powerful tool in mathematical and scientific applications.