1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sine/cosine sum and difference formulas

1. Dec 4, 2005 #1
    How to proove those formulas for any angle? So far all the proofs I've found are for angles between 0 and 2pi...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2005 #2
    Surely you know that for any angle less than 0 or greater than 2pi there is a corresponsing angle between 0 and 2pi...

If the angle x is less than 0, Use 2pi-x.
    If the angle x is greater than 2pi, Use 0+x

4. Dec 4, 2005 #3
    ...which ones did you find?

5. Dec 4, 2005 #4
    Sorry, i meant pi/2... (thus maximum of pi for the resultant angle)

I found one with euler's equation, another with triangles and the other with the trigonometric circle.

My solution was;

[tex]\sqrt{(\cos({{\theta} \pm {\sigma}}) - \cos{\theta})^{2} + (\sin({{\theta} \pm {\sigma}}) - \sin{\theta})^{2}} = \sqrt {({cos{\sigma} - 1})^{2} - \sin^{2}{\sigma}} [/tex]

And this later simplifies to

[tex]cos({{\theta} \pm {\sigma}}) = \cos{\theta}\cos{\sigma} \pm \sin{\theta}\sin{\sigma}[/tex]

But now I can't go further...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  6. Dec 4, 2005 #5
    Alright I think I thought of a good proof

With this identity (this is using the distance formula and the coordinates on the trigonmetric circle)

[tex]\sqrt{(\cos({{\theta} \pm {\sigma}}) - \cos{\theta})^{2} + (\sin({{\theta} \pm {\sigma}}) - \sin{\theta})^{2}} = \sqrt {({cos{\sigma} - 1})^{2} - \sin^{2}{\sigma}} [/tex]

We can derive

[tex]\sin(\theta \pm \sigma) = \cos \sigma \sin \theta \pm \cos \theta \sin \sigma [/tex]

With this identity

[tex]\sin -a = -\sin a [/tex]

We can compare [tex]\sin(\theta - \sigma) [/tex] and [tex]\sin(\sigma - \theta) [/tex] As being opposite.

[tex](\sin(\theta \pm \sigma) = \cos \sigma \sin \theta \pm \cos \theta \sin \sigma) =-(\sin(\sigma \pm \theta) = \cos \theta \sin \sigma \pm \cos \sigma \sin \theta) [/tex]

The only possible solution is

[tex]\sin(\theta - \sigma) = \cos \sigma \sin \theta - \cos \theta \sin \sigma [/tex]

and

[tex]\sin(\sigma - \theta) = \cos \theta \sin \sigma - \cos \sigma \sin \theta[/tex]

And since sin (a+b) is not equal to sin(a-b), exept if one of the angle is pi, thus

[tex]\sin(\theta + \sigma) = \cos \sigma \sin \theta + \cos \theta \sin \sigma [/tex]

The result stays the same if one of the angle is pi/2.

The expansion for cos(a+b) and cos (a-b) is easy to derive once we have established the expansion for sin.

Q.E.D.?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  7. Dec 4, 2005 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Draw the sin graph, notice the symmetry, all's well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?