Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single layer neural network. What am I doing wrong?

1. Dec 27, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to implement this example http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~jxb/INC/l3.pdf (page 15)
    I'm trying to do Iteration training, but it seems as if the results always converging to a steady error rate that is too large to be acceptable, the values centering around 0 while they should be close to -1 and +1.

I don't know if there's something wrong with the code, or I have the training concept misunderstood?
    Code (Text):

close all;clc;
        M=3;N=1;

X=[-1 1.0 0.1;-1 2.0 0.2; -1 0.1 0.3; -1 2.0 0.3; -1 0.2 0.4; -1 3.0 0.4; -1 0.1 0.5; -1 1.5 0.5; -1 0.5 0.6; -1 1.6 0.7];
        X=X';
        d=[-1;-1;1;-1;1;-1;1;-1;1;1];

Wp=rand([M,N]);
        Wp=Wp'/sum(Wp(:));  % theta is 1 so sum of Wp and W needs to be <1
        W=rand([M,N]);
        W=W'/sum(W(:));
        V1=zeros(1,10);  %Pre allocating for speed
        Y1=zeros(1,10);
        e=zeros(1,10);

while(1)

i=randi(length(X),1);
        %---------------Feed forward---------------%    
        V1(i)=W*X(:,i);
        Y1(i)=tanh(V1(i)/2);
        e(i)=d(i)-Y1(i);

%------------Backward propagation---------%
        delta1=e(i)*0.5*(1+Y1(i))*(1-Y1(i));

Wn(1,1)=W(1,1) + 0.1*(W(1,1)-Wp(1,1)) + 0.1*delta1*Y1(i);
        Wn(1,2)=W(1,2) + 0.1*(W(1,2)-Wp(1,2)) + 0.1*delta1*Y1(i);
        Wn(1,3)=W(1,3) + 0.1*(W(1,3)-Wp(1,3)) + 0.1*delta1*Y1(i);

Wp=W;
        W=Wn;

figure(1);
        stem(Y1);
        axis([1 10 -1 1]);
        drawnow;
        end

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2011 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First off, your backprop algorithm is just wrong. Do you have a reference for the algorithm you are using?

Even if you correct your update algorithm, a single layer perceptron is going to have a very, very hard time with this dataset. Make a scatter plot of this dataset. For example, make a graph with mass on the x axis, speed on the y axis. Mark each fighter with an F, bomber with a B. There are three clusters. Near the y axis there's a cluster of four light, fast fighters. Near the x axis there's a cluster of four slow, heavy bombers. The third cluster is going to be problematic for a single layer perceptron. The fighter with mass=1.6, speed=0.7 is very similar to the bomber with mass=1.5, speed=0.5.

Adding a two node hidden layer makes this problem much more amenable to a backprop neural network.

4. Dec 27, 2011 #3

Thank you for your detailed reply. I realized my mistake was taking the Y1 instead of X when readjusting the weights.

Currently it's more or less working (with a couple of the training values having around 30% error rate)

This particular set isn't what I'm aiming for, so it's why I didn't bother doing a detailed graph for it.

I realize that a single layer perceptron isn't enough, and I was just making one so as to test the algo if it's working. I am currently making a 2 hidden layer network, with a dynamic number of neurons in the hidden layers, and I will test it on a sampled cosine function, drawing the output function and the desired function over the same graph so as to compare.

May I ask exactly what is wrong with the algo? If you are talking about the hidden layer deltas, I've yet to add them.

Thank you again for the great reply!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook