What am I doing wrong with my multidimensional state array?

• Thread starter Bishop556
  • Start date
In summary: This might be a mistake. In summary, you are trying to numerically solve equations of state for an ordinary star, and your code is giving you a diverging line.
Bishop556
Hello, I am trying to now use my Runge Kutta code to numerically solve the equations of state for an ordinary star and then transcribe that to a neutron star. My code is below:
Code:
import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
from math import pi

#Constants

G = 6.674*1e-11
N = 5000
Gamma = 1.5
K = 5000

dur = 5

dr = dur/float(N-1)

state = np.zeros([N,2])

#initial conditions

state[0,0] = 0
state[0,1] = 5

def rk4(y,r, dr, den, deriv):
    k1 = dr * deriv(y, den, r)
    k2 = dr * deriv(y + 0.5*k1,den, r + 0.5*dr)
    k3 = dr * deriv(y + 0.5*k2,den, r + 0.5*dr)
    k4 = dr * deriv(y + k3, den, r + dr)
    y_next = y + (k1 + 2*(k2+k3)+k4)/6
    return y_next

def density(state):
    return ((1/K)*state[1])**(-Gamma)   # row = (P/K)^(-Gamma)

def EoS(state,den, r):
    y0 = 4*pi*(r**2)*den                         #dM/dr = 4*pi*(r^2)*row
    y1 = (-G*state[1]*den)/(r**2)           #dP/dr  =  -G*M*row / r^2
    return np.array([y0,y1])

r = 1e-23 #starting value to avoid singularity
for i in range(N-1):
    den = density(state[i])
    state[i+1]= rk4(state[i],r,dr,den, EoS)
    r = r + drplt. plot(state[:,1], state[:,0])
plt. show()

What I am trying to do is solve the two equations of state while using the polytropic relation between density and pressure.Now, I am slightly confused on how I can accomplish this as I have three unknowns: mass, pressure, and density which requires three separate equations are needed to develop a unique solution. I, however, am only receiving a straight line that diverges to infinity on the second iteration. Does anyone have any ideas why this is occurring?

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Also, note that state[0] is mass, state[1] is pressure, and den is density.

Bishop556 said:
Also, note that state[0] is mass, state[1] is pressure, and den is density.
I'm not sure about this, but it seems to me that you defined your state array two be two-dimensional (your code: state = np.zeros([N,2]) ), but you are using it later as if it were a one-dimensional array, as in what you wrote above.

What is my malfunction?

This question is often asked by individuals who are experiencing some sort of issue or problem with their physical or cognitive abilities. It can also be used as a rhetorical question to express frustration or confusion about a situation.

What causes malfunctions?

There are a variety of factors that can cause malfunctions, including genetic mutations, environmental factors, and injury or trauma. Malfunctions can also be a result of age-related degeneration or diseases.

Can malfunctions be fixed?

It depends on the specific malfunction and its underlying cause. Some malfunctions can be treated or managed through medical interventions, while others may be permanent. In some cases, adaptations or accommodations can be made to help individuals cope with their malfunction.

How can malfunctions be prevented?

Preventing malfunctions is not always possible, but there are ways to reduce the risk of developing certain malfunctions. These may include maintaining a healthy lifestyle, avoiding harmful substances or environments, and seeking medical attention for any concerning symptoms.

Do all malfunctions have negative impacts?

Not all malfunctions have negative impacts. In some cases, a malfunction may actually provide an advantage or benefit to an individual. For example, some genetic mutations can result in increased intelligence or enhanced physical abilities.