What is the missing term in the differential equation?

• Thread starter jacobrhcp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding an exact solution for a given differential equation with specified parameters and starting conditions. The speaker has attempted to use the Mathematica tool DSolve but it has not provided an answer. They ask for suggestions or resources for solving the equation, but it is noted that there may not be an exact solution due to the non-linear nature of the equation. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using series solution techniques and notes a potential helpful term in the equation, but it is not clear how to utilize it.
jacobrhcp
Given the following differential equation:

[itex] \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\sigma y(\alpha x^{\alpha-1}y^{\beta}-\delta-\rho)}{x^\alpha y^\beta-\delta x-y}
[/itex]
and starting condition x(0)=x0 (=3, for instance)

and these parameters [itex] \alpha = 0.2; \beta = 0.1; \rho = 0.014; \delta = 0.05; b = 0.5; \sigma = 0.5; [/itex]

I want to find an exact solution. What I have tried so far is using the Mathematica tool DSolve, but when executed, Mathematica kept running for over 20 minutes without giving an answer.

I don't see any smart substitution or a way to make separation of variables possible. Do you see any? I'm not asking for a complete solution or anything, but if you know a good book or manual where I can learn how to solve this, that's fine too.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no algorithm for finding the exact solution of a non-linear ODE (and most of them do not have exact solutions). Series solution techniques may be helpful if what you're interested in is an analytical result, but the bottom line is that you are unlikely to be able to find an exact solution in closed form to this equation.

=( that's unfortunate. I really expected there to be one for some reason. Thanks for your help.

The fact that ##d/dx(x^\alpha y^\beta - \delta x) = \alpha x^{\alpha-1}y^\beta - \delta## has got to be good for something - but it's not obvious (to me) how to use it.

Well, if [itex]y[/itex] is a function of [itex]x[/itex], then you are missing a term in that equation.

1. What is an exact solution for a single ODE?

An exact solution for a single ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical expression that satisfies the given differential equation and its initial conditions. It is a closed-form solution that does not require any further approximation or estimation.

2. How is an exact solution different from a numerical solution?

An exact solution is a precise mathematical expression that satisfies the ODE, while a numerical solution is an approximation of the solution using numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta method. Numerical solutions are useful when an exact solution cannot be found or is too complicated to obtain.

3. What types of ODEs can have an exact solution?

Simple ODEs such as linear, separable, and exact ODEs can have an exact solution. However, many real-world problems involve non-linear and non-separable ODEs, which may not have an exact solution and require numerical methods for approximation.

4. How do you find an exact solution for a single ODE?

The process of finding an exact solution involves identifying the type of ODE, manipulating the equation to separate the dependent and independent variables, and then integrating both sides to obtain the solution. Initial conditions are used to determine any integration constants.

5. Why is it important to find an exact solution for an ODE?

An exact solution provides a deeper understanding of the behavior and relationships within a system described by an ODE. It also allows for more accurate predictions and insights into the system's behavior, which can be crucial in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.