Single phase transformer EMF

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the induced EMF in the primary side of a step down transformer operating at 80% of its rated load. The transformer has a turns ratio of 10:1 and the primary and secondary winding resistances and leakage parameters are given. Different attempts at solving the problem are discussed, including using equivalent circuits and the effects of R1 and X1. The importance of considering the turns ratio and mutual inductance in the calculation is emphasized. The conversation ends with a request for a worked example or guide for determining the value of M.
SPYazdani

Homework Statement

A step down transformer, 2400/240 V, 50Hz has the following resistance and leakage parameters.
Z1 = R1 + jX1 = 4 + j12 Ω
Z2 = R2 + jX2 = 0.04 + j0.12 Ω

The transformer is operating at 80% of its rated load. The power factor of the load is 0.866 leading.
Determine the induced EMF in the primary side

Homework Equations

E = 4.443 f N B A
Ni = Hl = R phi
phi = BA
E = N d(phi)/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to solve for N and phi. It's as if I'm leading nowhere.
So far, I've got

Attempt 1:
a = V1/V2 = 2400/240 = 10
i1 = 2400/(4 + j12) = 60 - j180 = 189.7 cis (-71.57)
but then if I try to use Ni=Hl I get stuck on finding H from B=uH

Attempt 2: Try solving for N with L
L = N^2/R
N = sqrt(LR)
R = 4 + j12
Substitute L = N^2/R into N = sqrt(LR) you just end up with N = N (nothing useful)

Attempt 3: Transfer Z2 from the secondary side over to the primary side

a= 2400/240 = 10
a^2 = 100
Z2' = 100 (0.04 + j0.12) = 4 + j12
Zeq = Z1 + Z2' = 2 (4 + j12) = 8 + j24
Then using Ni = R phi
i = 2400/(8+j24) = 30 - j90 A
R = 8 + j24
Then get stuck on finding phi...

Attempt 4: using V1/V2 = N1/N2
2400/240 = N1/N2
Assume 100 turns in N1, then N2 = 10 turns.
and let phi = i
then E = 4.443 (50) (100) (60-j180) = some massive number in MegaVolts

I've searched and searched in lecture notes for anything to do with the turns ratio, but can't find anything useful.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Need to know the transformer's rated load.

Then I would compute mutual inductance M which leads directly to emf_1 due to current_2.

There may be another way to do this using equivalent circuits, but keep in mind we want the emf at the primary generated by the current in the secondary.

Definitely we need to know the transformer's rated load.

Ok for the purposes of the exercise, I'll try 24KVA and if I get stuck, I'll post back. Thanks

Think 'out of the box' on this one.

Think about what "the emf induced in the primary" really means.

If I have a single coil L and apply a voltage V, what is the "induced emf"?

Hint: a voltage across an inductor is an emf. Why? Because the voltage across the inductor is produced by its magnetic field, so one form of energy (magnetic) is transformed into another (electrical). That is the definition of an emf.

By contrast, the voltage across a capacitor is not an emf.

Last edited:
Thanks rude man. I worked on this problem shortly after your last post and never got round to replying.
I found I2 = 24000(0.8)/240 = 80 Amps --> arccos 0.866 = 30 degrees --> I2 = 80/_30 Amps
Then E2 = V2 + I2Z2 = 240 + (80/_30)(0.04 + j0.12) = 237.97 + j9.91 Volts
E1/E2 = a = 2400/240 = 10
So E1 = aE2 = 10(237.97 + j9.91) = 2379.7 + j99.1 Volts

Was it really that simple?

Your answer is probably very close to right. But it seems you did not include the effects of R1 and X1.

As I see it, the voltage induced in the primary winding is just V1 - I1R1

so use your equiv. ckt. to compute I1 and you're home. The answer is going to be close to V1 which = 2400V, and therefore to your answer also.

My rationale is as follows:
Basic equations for a loaded transformer (load = ZL) are
V1 = I1(R1 + sL1) + sMI2
V2 = -I2ZL = I2(R2 + sL2) + sMI1

where s = jω for sinusoids, L1 and L2 are the open-circuit primary and secondary winding inductances, R1 and R2 are the primary and secondary winding resistances, and M = mutual inductance. I1 and I2 are defined as currents flowing into the respective windings and it's assumed that dotted ends face each other.

So the "voltage induced in the primary" by this picture is in my opinion
V1(induced) = sL1I1+ sMI2. Note that X1 and X2 are included in M.

There may be room for interpretation here as to what exactly is "the EMF induced in the primary side".

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
SPYazdani said:
Was it really that simple?
Probably not. :smile:

In power engineering, there are conventionally accepted approximations. You need to be guided in this by worked problems you have encountered in your course.

I doubt that you can assume the turns ratio here is 10:1 because if it were then with rated supply voltage (24000V) the transformer would not be delivering rated output voltage (240V) at rated load (24kVA). The buyer would be upset at being short-changed on his voltage. :frown:

So when delivering full rated output (240V, 100A) the turns ratio must be such that it overcomes the voltage drops in the transformer model's non-idealities.

I calculate the necessary turns ratio to be 9.62 but I am rusty on this so that may not be exact. But it supports the intuitive expectation that the voltage divide across the turns must be less than 10:1 so my answer is around what I'd expect.

That completes half of the working, the hardest part.

You don't happen to know the answer, or have a worked example as a guide?

rude man said:
So the "voltage induced in the primary" by this picture is in my opinion
V1(induced) = sL1I1+ sMI2. Note that X1 and X2 are included in M.
How will you determine the value of M here?

NascentOxygen said:
I doubt that you can assume the turns ratio here is 10:1

I didn't assume. The turns ratio is V1/V2 = N1/N2 = I2/I1 = 2400/240 = 10/1

because if it were then with rated supply voltage (24000V) the transformer would not be delivering rated output voltage (240V) at rated load (24kVA).

Where did you get 24000 Volts from? Do you mean 24000 VA? They are two completely different quantities

I calculate the necessary turns ratio to be 9.62 but I am rusty on this so that may not be exact.

Where did you get 9.62 from?

You don't happen to know the answer, or have a worked example as a guide?

Nope.

SPYazdani said:
I didn't assume. The turns ratio is V1/V2 = N1/N2 = I2/I1 = 2400/240 = 10/1
That looks like an assumption to me.

Where did you get 24000 Volts from?
That's 2400V with a bouncy 0 key. :smile:

Where did you get 9.62 from?
I calculated it, on the basis that the rated voltage of a transformer must be delivered at rated load. You will get 240V out of a precisely 10:1 transformer only at zero load.

NascentOxygen said:
That looks like an assumption to me.

Heh, that's what our lecturer taught us :smile:

That's 2400V with a bouncy 0 key. :smile:

:smile:

I calculated it, on the basis that the rated voltage of a transformer must be delivered at rated load. You will get 240V out of a precisely 10:1 transformer only at zero load.

Ok, I'm satisfied this problem is sufficiently solved.

Thanks guys.

1. What is a single phase transformer EMF?

A single phase transformer EMF (electromotive force) is a measure of the voltage produced by the transformer's magnetic field. It is typically measured in volts and is used to power electrical devices.

2. How does a single phase transformer generate EMF?

A single phase transformer generates EMF through the process of electromagnetic induction. This occurs when a changing magnetic field in the primary coil induces a voltage in the secondary coil.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of EMF in a single phase transformer?

The magnitude of EMF in a single phase transformer is affected by the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils, the frequency of the alternating current, and the permeability of the core material.

4. Can the EMF in a single phase transformer be controlled?

Yes, the EMF in a single phase transformer can be controlled by adjusting the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils, as well as the core material and design of the transformer.

5. What is the difference between EMF and voltage in a single phase transformer?

EMF is the force that drives current through a circuit, while voltage is the measure of potential difference between two points in a circuit. In a single phase transformer, the EMF is generated by the changing magnetic field, while voltage is the measure of the difference in potential between the primary and secondary coils.