1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single slit diffraction - distance between 1st&2nd order dark fringes

1. Sep 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Monochromatic light with wavelength 580nm passes through a single slit 2.60um wide and 2.10m from a screen.

Find the distance between the first- and second-order dark fringes on the screen.

2. Relevant equations

y=(n*lamda*L)/d

3. The attempt at a solution

y1=580nm*2.1m/2.1um=0.468m
    y2=580nm*2.1m*2/2.1um=0.937m

y2-y1=0.468m

I am not sure how to handle the dark fringes in single slit diffraction, so I am not sure where I am going wrong.

Thanks for people's help in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know what the letters mean in the formula y=(n*lambda*L)/d and when is it a good approximation?

ehild

4. Sep 17, 2010 #3
    y is the distance between the fringes hitting the screen, n is the order, lambda is the wavelength, L is the distance to the screen, d is the width of the slit?

i don't know when it is a good approximation or what you mean by that.

5. Sep 17, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yo know a formula which contain the angle of deviation from the original direction of the light ray, hitting the slit. It is the exact one.

ehild

6. Sep 17, 2010 #5
    n*lamda = d*sin(theta) ?

so would i use the angle found theta, and the known length L in a triangle to find the difference in y?

7. Sep 17, 2010 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Calculate theta for n=1 and for n=2. The relation between L and y is y/L=tan(theta). If theta was very small, not more than a few degrees, you could approximate sin(theta) with tan(theta) and the equation in your first post would be valid. It is not the case now.

ehild

8. Sep 17, 2010 #7
    thanks ehild, helpful as always

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook