1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single slit diffraction minima formula misunderstanding

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    Reading the derivation for the single slit diffraction minima formula from this site, I'm not convinced about its argument.
    http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/courses/m309-03a/m309-projects/krzak/index.html" [Broken]

What I'm having trouble understanding is the explanation of the formula for minima when m>1.
    For example when dealing with m=2, the explanation is that the slit is split into four sections so there is a phase difference of pi for the paired up point sources and so destructive interference occurs. But if we used 2 sections for m=2 then the paired up point sources have a phase difference of 2pi and constructive interference occurs.
    Also when m=3 (or an odd number), it seems we have to revert back to two sections to explain destructive interference which gives a phase difference of 3/2pi which is destructive interference.
    Why does using 4 sections for m=2 give the 'right' answer of destructive interference and not 2 sections?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Just showing that paired points constructively interfere does not allow you to conclude anything interesting. Just because points A and A' and points B and B' constructively interfere does not mean that A and B do. A and B may still be out of phase.

On the other hand, if you can divide the slit in a way so you can show that each section is canceled by another, then that's that. That does allow you to conclude that all the light cancels and a dark fringe occurs.

4. May 31, 2010 #3
    Thank You, I see it now.
    I failed to take into account that constructive interference isn't like destructive interference when dealing with this pairing up business.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook