Sink source current input and outputs

In summary, a 555 timer IC can be used to create an inverter, which can be used to light a small lamp.
Physicslearner500039
hi,

1. could somebody explain me in very simple terms what are sourcing / sinking I/O.
2. In which cases i have to think about these things while interfacing.
3. i did lot of browsing and studied but every time i get confused, suggest me a simple lab
experiment so that i can do each of them separately and observe and also how if i connect
wrongly the set up fails?

Thanks and regards,
Satya

Engineering news on Phys.org
usually it means that the output pin can either supply (source) current to its load,
or accept (sink) current from the load.

Simple lab: hook up a 555 timer IC as inverter, by tying TRIG and THRESH together and using as input. Now high on input drives output low and vice versa.
Next connect a small lamp to output pin.
Observe that lamp can be lit by tying its other side to +supply and driving output LOW , 555 is sinking current from lamp.
Now tie lamp's farside instead to common and observe it can be lit by driving output high - 555 is sourcing current to lamp.

555 has "Totem Pole" output, so it can source or sink. Not all logic families are so equipped.

analog amps output drive capability is specified usually by a graph, read datasheet carefully. LM324 is an interesting one, observe its weakening sink capability at very low output voltage.

that should give you the concept - play around with it until it seems natural.

thank you very much for the reply it was very simple to understand. one more small doubt is generally output pin should be used for sourcing only as you would want to source current to load why you would want to sink current? i do not know whether my question is correct or not? You have mentioned sourcing and sinking current for output does the same logic applies to input port also?

thanks in advance,

regards,
satya

Output need to both pull up or pull down. Output source current with trying to pull up, output sink current when trying to pull down.

satya said:
is generally output pin should be used for sourcing only as you would want to source current to load why you would want to sink current?
The input to the next stage may appear equivalent to a resistor connected to ground. But with a different circuit, it may be equivalent to a resistor connected to +Vcc meaning that the driving stage must sink current when the driving stage wants its output to be held LOW.

You have mentioned sourcing and sinking current for output does the same logic applies to input port also?
Yes. For example, the multi-emitter transistor designed at the input to a TTL gate requires that you sink current from its input pin if you want to hold it at logic LOW.

Last edited:
aha = now you're getting somewhere.. one needs to be aware what's just inside the pins of his IC else he'll make mistakes interfacing to it.

as Nas-O2 observed, TTL input requires that its driver sink current to ground to pull low. To get best speed out of TTL your driver should yank input high by sourcing a little current.

See if you can find an old appnote on logic families of late 60's-early 70's
there's RTL, DTL,TTL, ECL, and so on. They got more sophisticated as desire for speed increased. An understanding of the concepts will strengthen your foundations...
the families were designed so if you stayed in same family you didn't have to pay much attention to interface, just wire 'em up.

In NE555 datasheet is an understated line ".. will interface to any logic family.."
that's because 555's input is high impedance and output has active pull-up and pull-down transistors (called Totem Pole)
i use them for interface in hobby projects.. built in hysteresis makes a great schmitt-trigger.

old jim

1. What is a sink/source current input?

A sink/source current input is a type of electrical input that can either draw or provide current, depending on the circuit's needs. It acts as a "sink" by accepting current from other sources or as a "source" by supplying current to other components in the circuit.

2. How does a sink/source current input work?

A sink/source current input works by using a transistor to control the amount of current flowing through the input. When the transistor is turned on, it acts as a low-resistance path for current to flow through, allowing it to "sink" or accept current. When the transistor is turned off, it acts as a high-resistance path, preventing current from flowing and allowing it to "source" current to other components in the circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using a sink/source current input?

One advantage of using a sink/source current input is that it can be used in both digital and analog circuits, making it versatile for a variety of applications. Additionally, it can protect other components in the circuit from overloading by accepting excess current. It also allows for more efficient use of power by only drawing or providing the necessary amount of current.

4. How is a sink/source current input different from a regular current input?

A sink/source current input is different from a regular current input in that it has the ability to both draw and provide current, while a regular current input only draws current. This provides more flexibility in circuit design and allows for more efficient use of power.

5. What are some common applications for a sink/source current input?

A sink/source current input is commonly used in electronic devices that require efficient power management, such as mobile phones and laptops. It is also used in motor control systems, where it can regulate the speed and direction of a motor. Additionally, it is used in power supply circuits to regulate the amount of current being delivered to other components.