Complex Numbers converting from Polar form to Acos(wt + x)

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem using phasor analysis but found it difficult to follow the given example. They also attempted to use Euler's identity but found the example given did not follow the same form as the problem. They ended up using a trigonometric identity to solve the problem.
PenDraconis

Homework Statement

"Put each of the following into the form Acos(ωt+θ)..."

(a.) 4ejt+4e-jt

Homework Equations

Euler's Identity: e = cos(θ)+jsin(θ)
Phasor Analysis(?): Mcos(ωt+θ) ←→ Me
j = ej π/2
Trignometric Identities

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use phasor analysis to simply have it be 4cos(ωt)+4cos(ωt), however, the given problem doesn't seem to follow the same form as the "examples" for phasor analysis.

I also attempt to use Euler's identity (thus changing it into the cos()+jsin() form) but that still confused me because the example given wth Euler's is for a e not an ejt.

I basically need a solid jump off point so I can correctly reason the answer out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PenDraconis said:

Homework Statement

"Put each of the following into the form Acos(ωt+θ)..."

(a.) 4ejt+4e-jt

Homework Equations

Euler's Identity: e = cos(θ)+jsin(θ)
Phasor Analysis(?): Mcos(ωt+θ) ←→ Me
j = ej π/2
Trignometric Identities

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use phasor analysis to simply have it be 4cos(ωt)+4cos(ωt),
No it doesn't. In the phasor form, the expression is the sum of two vectors - the resultant vector is what you want to express in cos form.
Careful - the minus sign is important.

I also attempt to use Euler's identity (thus changing it into the cos()+jsin() form) but that still confused me because the example given wth Euler's is for a e not an ejt.
... put ##e^{j\theta}=e^{jt}## and solve for ##\theta##.

... put ##e^{j\theta}=e^{jt}## and solve for ##\theta##

So, basically ##j\theta=jt##, thus ##\theta=t##?

So then we'd have ##4e^{j\theta}+4e^{-j\theta}##?

How do I account for the negative then?

If that's the case (and ##Mcos(ωt+\theta)## is interchangeable with ##Me^{j\theta}##) wouldn't the end result be:

##4cos(ωt+\theta) + 4cos(ωt+(-\theta))##?​

I also know: ##Acos(ωt + θ)=\frac{1}{2}(X+X^∗)## where ##X=Ae^{j(ωt+θ)}=Ae^{jθ}e^{jωt}##.

But I'm unsure how to use that info, is that even applicable in this situation (I feel a little ridiculous for not understanding this but I'm trying my best!)?

Last edited:
PenDraconis said:
So, basically ##j\theta=jt##, thus ##\theta=t##?

So then we'd have ##4e^{j\theta}+4e^{-j\theta}##?

How do I account for the negative then?
Put ##e^{-j\theta}=e^{j(-\theta)}## ... what is special about negative angles?

... and ##Mcos(ωt+\theta)## is interchangeable with ##Me^{j\theta}##
... it isn't. ##Me^{j\theta}=M(\cos\theta + j\sin\theta)## ... you know this.

Likes 1 person
Using that information we have:

##4e^{j\theta}+4e^{j(-\theta)}##​

Expanding that out we have:

##4(\cos(\theta) + j\sin(\theta)) + 4(\cos(-\theta) + j\sin(-\theta))##​

We know that ##\cos(\theta)+\cos(-\theta)## is ##2\cos(\theta)## due to trigonometric identities.

We also know that the opposite is true for sine, rather that ##sin(-\theta) = -sin(\theta)##. So ##sin(\theta)+sin(-\theta) = 0##.

If we use that knowledge we end up with:

##8cos(\theta)+0 → 8cos(\theta) → 8cos(t)##​

Is that the correct thought process?

PenDraconis said:
If we use that knowledge we end up with:

##8cos(\theta)+0 → 8cos(\theta) → 8cos(t)##​

Is that the correct thought process?

We have a winner!

You could also have gone

cosθ = [e + e-jθ]/2

so e + e-jθ = 2 cosθ

so 4[e + e-jθ] = 8 cosθ

Likes 1 person
Hah!

It was so easy but for some reason I was battling myself the whole time thinking it was much more complicated.
Thank you for the assistance Simon and Rude Man.

The other approach was to draw the phasors.
The "jt" version is an arrow, length 1, rotating anti-clockwise; while the "-jt" version is an arrow length 1 rotating clockwise. At t=0 they are both aligned on the real axis - so they add to 2.
As the rotate in opposite directions, their imaginary components (the y-components) will always cancel.
The real components (the x components) are the cosine of the angle.

Well done though.

1. What is the formula for converting a complex number from polar form to Acos(wt + x)?

The formula for converting a complex number from polar form to Acos(wt + x) is:
A(cos(x) + i sin(x)) = Acos(x) + iAsin(x)

2. How do I convert a complex number from polar form to Acos(wt + x)?

To convert a complex number from polar form to Acos(wt + x), follow these steps:
1. Identify the amplitude (A) and angle (x) of the complex number in polar form
2. Multiply the amplitude (A) by the cosine of the angle (x) to find the real component
3. Multiply the amplitude (A) by the sine of the angle (x) to find the imaginary component
4. Write the complex number in the form Acos(wt + x) using the real and imaginary components.

3. What is the purpose of converting a complex number from polar form to Acos(wt + x)?

Converting a complex number from polar form to Acos(wt + x) allows us to represent a complex number in terms of a real cosine function. This can be useful in applications involving oscillations or waves, as the real part of the function represents the amplitude of the wave at a given time.

4. Is it possible to convert any complex number from polar form to Acos(wt + x)?

Yes, it is possible to convert any complex number from polar form to Acos(wt + x). However, the resulting form may not always be the most simplified or useful representation of the complex number. It is important to consider the context and purpose of the conversion before deciding to use this form.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when converting a complex number from polar form to Acos(wt + x)?

There are no inherent limitations or restrictions when converting a complex number from polar form to Acos(wt + x), but there are some considerations to keep in mind:
- The angle (x) should be measured in radians
- The amplitude (A) should be a positive real number
- Depending on the context, the resulting form may not always be the most simplified or useful representation of the complex number.