Sketch and make an algebraic expression to model graph

In summary, Mark says that the graph of the function y = 1/x is shifted left and up, and reflected across the x-axis to get the function y = -1/(x+5).
Jinxypo

Homework Statement

Sketch the graph of a function g(x) with a corresponding domain on (-5, infinity) whose first derivative is always positive and whose second derivative is always negative. Then come up with and algebraic expression to model your graph.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the first derivative is positive, therefore g(x) is always increasing. Also the second derivative is always negative, therefore g(x) is concave down. The graph I drew to model this looks like the following picture. Two points on my graph include, (-5,1) and (-1,5) with a horizontal asymptote at y = 6. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/RDH_TheOne/d4567def.jpg" I just don't know how to come up with the expression that models my graph any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jinxypo said:

Homework Statement

Sketch the graph of a function g(x) with a corresponding domain on (-5, infinity) whose first derivative is always positive and whose second derivative is always negative. Then come up with and algebraic expression to model your graph.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the first derivative is positive, therefore g(x) is always increasing. Also the second derivative is always negative, therefore g(x) is concave down. The graph I drew to model this looks like the following picture. Two points on my graph include, (-5,1) and (-1,5) with a horizontal asymptote at y = 6. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/RDH_TheOne/d4567def.jpg" I just don't know how to come up with the expression that models my graph any help will be appreciated.

Do you know about the transformations that cause the graph of a function to be shifted or reflected across an axis? A function that comes to mind is y = 1/x, for x > 0. If you shift it to the left and up, and reflect it across the x-axis, you get a function that meets the requirements of this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mark,
I've come up with the following equation, could you please double check to see if it's right.
y = -(1 / x+5) for x > -5

That works, but you should write it as y = -1/(x + 5), for x > -5. This graph is asymptotic to the x-axis, not the line y = 6 as you wanted. If you want it to be asymptotic to y = 6, shift it up by 6 units.

Thank you very much Mark you've been a great help.

1. What is a sketch and how does it relate to modeling a graph?

A sketch is a rough drawing or representation of a graph. It is used to visually understand the shape and behavior of a graph. It can help in making an algebraic expression to model the graph by providing information about the x and y intercepts, slope, and points of inflection.

2. How do you make an algebraic expression to model a graph?

To make an algebraic expression to model a graph, you need to first identify the key features of the graph such as the x and y intercepts, slope, and points of inflection. Then, use the general form of an algebraic expression (y = mx + b) and substitute the identified values to create the equation. The resulting equation will represent the graph.

3. Can you give an example of a sketch and corresponding algebraic expression to model a graph?

Yes, for example, a sketch of a linear graph with x and y intercepts at (0,3) and (4,0) respectively can be modeled by the algebraic expression y = -3x + 12. The slope of this line is -3, and the y-intercept is 12.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when making an algebraic expression to model a graph?

Some common mistakes to avoid when making an algebraic expression to model a graph include using the wrong formula, not considering the signs of the coefficients, and not simplifying the equation. It is also important to pay attention to the units and ensure that the units are consistent throughout the equation.

5. How can I verify if my algebraic expression accurately models the given graph?

The best way to verify if your algebraic expression accurately models the given graph is by graphing the equation and comparing it to the original graph. If the two graphs are identical, then your algebraic expression accurately models the graph. You can also plug in different values for x and y to see if they satisfy the equation.