Sketch this curve (two multipled root functions)

In summary, we discussed the steps for sketching a curve and used them to sketch the curve defined by g(x) = x^{1/3}*(x+3)^{2/3}. We found the x-intercept at -3 and the y-intercept at (0,0). We also calculated the first derivative and solved for the extreme value at x = -1. We encountered a divide by zero error in the first derivative, which means the slope is vertical. The second derivative was more complicated and requires further understanding.
aeromat

Homework Statement

Sketch the curve defined by [tex]g(x) = x^{1/3}*(x+3)^{2/3}[/tex]

Homework Equations

First Derivative
Second Derivative

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use the algorithm for curve sketching:
1) Find the intercepts
2) First Derivative; look for extrema and points where f'(x) DNE
3) Second Derivative; look for each region's concavity according to point of inflection found, and where f''(x) DNE
4) Sketch the curve

First, I made the function y = 0
[tex]0 = (x)^{1/3}*(x+3)^{2/3}[/tex]
[tex]0 = (x+3)^{2/3}[/tex]
[tex]0^3 = ((x+3)^{2/3})^3[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{0} = \sqrt{(x+3)^2}[/tex]
[tex]0 = (x + 3)[/tex]
[tex]-3 = x[/tex]
Therefore, x-intercept at x = -3.

[tex]y = (0)^{1/3}*(3)^{2/3}[/tex]
[tex]y = 0[/tex]
Therefore, the graph crosses the origin; (0,0)

First Derivative:
[tex]g'(x) = a'(b) + a(b)'[/tex]
[tex]a = (x)^{1/3}[/tex]
[tex]a' = \frac{1}{3}*(x)^{-2/3}[/tex]
[tex]b = (x+3)^{2/3}[/tex]
[tex]b' = \frac{2}{3}*(x+3)^{-1/3}[/tex]

The extreme value retrieved from the first derivative:
[tex]0 = (x+1)[/tex]
[tex]-1 = x [/tex]Simplifying for the first derivative, and I get:
[tex]g'(x) = \frac{x+1}{x^{2/3}*(x+3)^{1/3}}[/tex]

?: What does it mean when you have a divide by zero error in the first derivative?

The second derivative is much more complicated. I finished it but I first need to understand as to what do I have to do when I get it in the first place...

Physics news on Phys.org
hi aeromat! :smile:
aeromat said:
?: What does it mean when you have a divide by zero error in the first derivative?

it means the "slope" is "vertical" :wink:

1. What is a "multipled root function"?

A multipled root function is a mathematical equation that contains multiple instances of the square root symbol (√). Examples include functions such as √x and √(x+1).

2. How do I sketch a curve with multipled root functions?

To sketch a curve with multipled root functions, you can start by plotting points on a graph and connecting them with a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to generate a graph of the function.

3. What does a multipled root function graph look like?

A multipled root function graph usually has a curved shape, with the curve becoming steeper as the value of x increases. The graph may also have an asymptote (a line that the graph approaches but never touches) at x=0.

4. How do I find the domain and range of a multipled root function?

The domain of a multipled root function is all the possible values of x that can be plugged into the function. To find the domain, you can set the expression inside the square root symbol (the radicand) greater than or equal to 0 and solve for x. The range of a multipled root function is all the possible values of y that the function can output. The range can be found by considering the behavior of the function as x approaches positive and negative infinity.

5. What are some real-world applications of multipled root functions?

Multipled root functions can be used to model various real-world situations, such as the growth of a population or the decay of radioactive substances. They can also be used in engineering and physics to describe the relationship between two variables, such as displacement and time in a moving object.