Vertical asymptote behavior of (x²-1)/(x²-4) at x = -2

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Glissando
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Sketch the graphs of the following function showing vertical and horizontal asymptotes and relative extrema:

f(x) = (x2-1)/(x2-4)


Homework Equations


Limits, zeroes, derivatives


The Attempt at a Solution


I know that I have the majority of the answers right, the only problem I'm having is with part of the vertical asymptote.

VA = positive and negative 2

The problem is with -2:

lim (-22-1)/(-2+)2-4)
x->-2+

= (4-1)/(4+-4) = +infinity

lim ((-2)2-1)/((-2-)2-4)
x->-2-

= (4-1)/(4--4) = negative infinity

But my graphing calculator shows the exact opposite ):!

Any help is appreciated! Thank you <3
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The limit as x->(-2)+ is +infinity. The limit as x->(-2)- is -infinity. I'm not sure what your graphing calculator's problem is.
 
Dick said:
The limit as x->(-2)+ is +infinity. The limit as x->(-2)- is -infinity. I'm not sure what your graphing calculator's problem is.

...I guess I'm sketching the graph wrong then...Thank you for your help (:!