1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketch Vin-Vout in MOS transistor

1. Jun 17, 2013 #1
    Can you help me check my work and tell me what is the application of the circuit?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sketch Vout versus Vin as Vin varies from 0 to VDD. Identify important points.

2. Relevant equations
    MOS transistor equations in triode and saturation modes.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    attachment.php?attachmentid=59640&stc=1&d=1371488951.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=59641&stc=1&d=1371488951.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=59642&stc=1&d=1371488951.jpg

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not going to check your math but I can tell you that this configuration is known as the common-gate configuration, analogous to the common-base mode of a BJT.

EDIT: the purpose is to improve frequency response by eliminating the so-called "Miller effect". Put a small capacitance Cgd in the common-source configuration & you will see this. The price is a lower input impedance.

Adding Rf reduces the gain ∂Vout/∂Vin but it does linearize it somewhat (for low values of -Vin, or in cutoff mode, ∂Vout/∂Vin = R/Rf where R = Rd||Rf.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted