Vout = (a+jb)Vin, what do A and B stand for?

In summary, the task involved analyzing a graph with two waves and determining the frequency, change in magnitude, and change in phase. The final question was to write the transformation from input to output using the equation Vout = (a+jb)Vin, where Vout is output voltage, Vin is input voltage, j is the square root of -1, and A and B are unknown variables. To solve the problem, the change in amplitude was found to be 0.7 and the change in phase was -13.3 degrees. A suggestion was made to use the relation ρ exp(jφ) to convert a + jb to a complex number, derived from the Euler relation for exp(jφ).
ConfusedBrendan

Homework Statement

I was given a graph with two waves on it, the input and output wave. I found the frequency of the waves, change in magnitude and change in phase. The last question asks me to write the transformation from input to output as a phasor and he gave the relevant equation below.

Vout = output voltage, Vin = input voltage, j is i or the square root of -1, and I don't know what A and B stand for

Homework Equations

Vout = (a+jb)Vin

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the change in amplitude = 0.7 and the change in phase is -13.3 degrees

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to convert a magnitude and an angle to a complex number?

It would also help to see the graph.

ConfusedBrendan said:

Homework Statement

I was given a graph with two waves on it, the input and output wave. I found the frequency of the waves, change in magnitude and change in phase. The last question asks me to write the transformation from input to output as a phasor and he gave the relevant equation below.

Vout = output voltage, Vin = input voltage, j is i or the square root of -1, and I don't know what A and B stand for

Homework Equations

Vout = (a+jb)Vin

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the change in amplitude = 0.7 and the change in phase is -13.3 degrees
There is a widely known relation changing a + jb to ρ exp(jφ) where ρ is magnitude and φ is phase. Easy to derive too. Hint: Euler relation for exp(jφ).

1. What does the equation Vout = (a+jb)Vin mean?

The equation Vout = (a+jb)Vin represents the output voltage (Vout) in terms of the input voltage (Vin) multiplied by a complex number (a+jb). This equation is commonly used in circuit analysis to determine the effect of a complex impedance on the output voltage.

2. What does "a" and "b" stand for in the equation?

In this equation, "a" represents the real part of the complex number and "b" represents the imaginary part. These values are typically expressed in units of ohms (Ω) or siemens (S) for impedance analysis.

3. How is this equation derived?

The equation Vout = (a+jb)Vin is derived from Ohm's law, which states that the voltage (V) across a component is equal to the product of the current (I) and the impedance (Z). In this case, the impedance is represented by the complex number (a+jb).

4. How is this equation used in practical applications?

This equation is commonly used in circuit analysis to determine the output voltage of a circuit with a complex impedance. It can also be used to determine the transfer function of a circuit, which describes how the output voltage changes in response to changes in the input voltage.

5. What are some important considerations when using this equation?

When using this equation, it is important to remember that the values of "a" and "b" may change depending on the frequency of the input voltage. Additionally, care should be taken to properly convert between units of impedance (ohms or siemens) and voltage (volts) to ensure accurate analysis.