Sketching 3d shapes with looking at an equation

• Thread starter korr2221
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Shapes
In summary: I can't think of anything to google …it's really just a matter of simplifying …we started off with three variables (x,y,z), which gives a 3D image that is difficult to visualise …I reduced it to two variables (r,z), which gives a familiar 2D image …I suppose the general rule would be to try to reduce the number of variables while keeping the whole original equation! (which you didn't … you sliced it! :wink:).And no … sorry … it won't always work! :redface:
korr2221
i was wondering what are some more popular ways to graph or get an idea of how a shape of an function would turn out to. the way I've learned it is to set certain variable to zero to get a certain plane. for example if i wanted the the xy plane of a function such as x^2+y^2-z^2 = 1 i would need to set the z = 0 and then solve for the y and solve for the x plugging random numbers to see how the shape is for that plane and do the same for the other two planes. which is the xz and yz. is there any other way to graph such an equation w/o using a computer and maple or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi korr2221! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Yes … this equation obviously has rotational symmetry …

so put x2 + y2 = r2, and you get:

r2 - z2 = 1 …

that's an easy 2D curve, which you can then rotate about the z-axis. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi korr2221! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Yes … this equation obviously has rotational symmetry …

so put x2 + y2 = r2, and you get:

r2 - z2 = 1 …

that's an easy 2D curve, which you can then rotate about the z-axis. :wink:

sorry if i am incorrect, but isn't this just about the same as what I've said? i don't see any difference... unless you're trying to make a point that in this case because it's shape has symmetry the positive xy plane and -xy plane is th same because of it's shape but sometimes that isn't always the case? sorry i don't understand where you were going with you reply above...

korr2221 said:
sorry if i am incorrect, but isn't this just about the same as what I've said?

Hi korr2221! :smile:

No … your method, putting z = constant (i assume that's what you meant :wink:), gives you horizontal slices, which as you remarked still leaves you a problem in deciding the shape.

My method uses a single vertical slice (well, half-slice), which you can just rotate. :smile:

tiny-tim said:

No … your method, putting z = constant (i assume that's what you meant :wink:), gives you horizontal slices, which as you remarked still leaves you a problem in deciding the shape.

My method uses a single vertical slice (well, half-slice), which you can just rotate. :smile:

ah yes... i sort of get what you've said now... but i still don't fully understand it... what 'phrase' should i google to find more about this method? what are you basically doing? turning the z plane into r^2? does your method always work? or only for this special case?

One method I like to use is to sketch their cross sections in the coordinate planes. For example, in the xy-plane, z= 0 so x^2+y^2-z^2 = 1 becomes x^2+ y^2= 1, the unit circle. In the xz-plane, y= 0 so the equation becomes x^2- z^= 1, a hyperbola. Finally, in the yz-plane, x= 0 so the equation becomes y^2- z^2= 1, a hyperbola.

Sketch those on three separate pieces of paper and put them together to get an idea of the shape.

That together with drawing the "level curves":
When z= 0, that is x^2+ y^2= 1, a circle with center at (0,0,0) radius 1
When z= 1, that is x^2+ y^2- 1= 1 or x^2+ y^2= 2, two circles with centers at (0, 0, 1) and (0, 0, -1) with radius [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]
etc.
which gives you a "geodesic map" idea of the surface should give a very good picture of the surface.

korr2221 said:
ah yes... i sort of get what you've said now... but i still don't fully understand it... what 'phrase' should i google to find more about this method? what are you basically doing? turning the z plane into r^2? does your method always work? or only for this special case?

I can't think of anything to google …

it's really just a matter of simplifying

we started off with three variables (x,y,z), which gives a 3D image that is difficult to visualise …

I reduced it to two variables (r,z), which gives a familiar 2D image …

I suppose the general rule would be to try to reduce the number of variables while keeping the whole original equation! (which you didn't … you sliced it! :wink:).

And no … sorry … it won't always work! :redface:

(you knew that didnt you? :smile:)

1. How do you sketch a 3D shape using an equation?

Sketching 3D shapes using an equation involves first identifying the equations of the shape's surfaces. Then, using these equations, you can plot points on a 3D coordinate system and connect them to form the shape.

2. What are some common equations used for sketching 3D shapes?

Some common equations used for sketching 3D shapes include those for spheres, cylinders, cones, and cubes. These equations can be in the form of functions such as x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2 for a sphere, or in the form of parametric equations such as x = rcos(theta), y = rsin(theta), z = z for a cone.

3. How do you determine the orientation of a 3D shape using its equation?

The orientation of a 3D shape can be determined by looking at the coefficients of its equation. For example, if the equation has a positive coefficient for the x variable, this means the shape will extend in the positive x direction. Additionally, the signs of the coefficients for the y and z variables can also indicate the orientation of the shape.

4. Can you use an equation to sketch any 3D shape?

No, not all 3D shapes can be sketched using a single equation. Some shapes, such as complex curved surfaces, may require multiple equations to accurately sketch in 3D. Additionally, some shapes may not have a known equation at all.

5. Are there any limitations to sketching 3D shapes using equations?

Yes, there are some limitations to sketching 3D shapes using equations. For example, equations may only provide a rough approximation of the shape and may not account for smaller details or irregularities. Additionally, some shapes may not have a known equation, making it difficult to accurately sketch them using equations.