Volumes of Irregular Shapes by Integration

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of determining the volume of a shape defined by equations in the x and y dimensions, with its elevation described by another equation. An example is given using a parabola and a circle, and the question of using integration or a finite element approach is raised. A suggestion is given to use double integrals and a change of coordinates, specifically polar coordinates. The conversation ends with a question about the feasibility of using integration for this problem.
labeattie
Hi all,

Is it possible to determine the volume of a shape where, in the x and y dimensions, the shape is described by an equation, and then its elevation is described by another equation?

An example would be a parabola in the x-y plane whose elevation is based on another parabolic function. For example let's say [tex]y=x^2+4[/tex] from [itex]x=-2[/itex] to [itex]x=2[/itex] with an elevation determined by a circle of radius 4 (so zero elevation at the apex and the x-axis). Meaning [tex]z=\sqrt{16-y^2}[/tex] (independent of x).

Can I get this volume by integration, or would I just need to apply some kind of finite element approach? Thanks in advance; most all of the volume integrals I could find online or in a text are just volumes of revolution.

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, in order to do this it requires that the bounds of integration be functions instead of numbers.

[itex]\int_{x_{0}}^{x_{1}}\int_{y_{0}(x)}^{y_{1}(x)}z(x,y) dydx[/itex]

here y1(x) is greater than y0(x) throughout the interval where x0<x<x1
look up "double integrals" for more.

also, given your problem it would be far easier to use a change of coordinates(most likely polar coordinates)

Ah yes. I knew I was missing something (it requires that the bounds of integration be functions instead of numbers). I was having trouble making that mental leap. And I will look into the polar coordinates. I hadn't thought of those for a few years :). Thanks!

labeattie said:
Hi all,

Is it possible to determine the volume of a shape where, in the x and y dimensions, the shape is described by an equation, and then its elevation is described by another equation?

An example would be a parabola in the x-y plane whose elevation is based on another parabolic function. For example let's say [itex]y=x^2+4[/itex] from [itex]x=-2[/itex] to [itex]x=2[/itex] with an elevation determined by a circle of radius 4 (so zero elevation at the apex and the x-axis). Meaning [itex]z=\sqrt{16-y^2}[/itex] (independent of x).
The problem here is that this is not a solid at all. With just the information that "[itex]y= x^2+ 4[/itex]", (x, y) is restricted to that parabola and adding z (height) just gives a "wall" which has area, not volume. Perhaps you meant to add another boundary and have x and y inside the bounded region? Say "y between [itex]y= x^2+ 4[/itex] and [itex]y= 12- x^2[/itex]. Those two curves intersect at (-2, 8) and (2, 8). With height [itex] \sqrt{16- y^2}[/itex], the volume is given by [tex]\int_{x= -2}^2\int_{y= x^2+ 4}^{12- x^2}\sqrt{16- y^2} dy dx[/tex]

Can I get this volume by integration, or would I just need to apply some kind of finite element approach? Thanks in advance; most all of the volume integrals I could find online or in a text are just volumes of revolution.

1. What is meant by "integration" in the context of finding the volume of irregular shapes?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. In the context of finding the volume of irregular shapes, integration is used to find the volume of a 3-dimensional shape by adding up the infinitesimal slices of the shape's cross-sections.

2. How is integration used to find the volume of irregular shapes?

To find the volume of an irregular shape using integration, we first need to find the equation of the cross-section of the shape. Then, we integrate this equation with respect to the variable that represents the direction of the shape's height. Finally, we use the limits of integration to calculate the total volume of the shape.

3. Can integration be used to find the volume of any irregular shape?

Yes, integration can be used to find the volume of any irregular shape as long as the cross-sections of the shape can be represented by a mathematical equation. This method is particularly useful for finding the volume of complex shapes that cannot be easily calculated using traditional geometric formulas.

4. Are there any limitations to using integration for finding the volume of irregular shapes?

One limitation of using integration for finding the volume of irregular shapes is that it can be a time-consuming and tedious process. It also requires a good understanding of calculus and mathematical equations. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for shapes with changing cross-sections.

5. How is the volume of a solid of revolution calculated using integration?

The volume of a solid of revolution can be calculated by integrating the cross-sectional area of the shape with respect to the axis of revolution. This method is particularly useful for finding the volume of objects that can be formed by rotating a 2-dimensional shape around an axis, such as a cone or a cylinder.