Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumes of Irregular Shapes by Integration

1. Sep 18, 2014 #1
    Hi all,

Is it possible to determine the volume of a shape where, in the x and y dimensions, the shape is described by an equation, and then its elevation is described by another equation?

An example would be a parabola in the x-y plane whose elevation is based on another parabolic function. For example lets say [tex]y=x^2+4[/tex] from [itex]x=-2[/itex] to [itex]x=2[/itex] with an elevation determined by a circle of radius 4 (so zero elevation at the apex and the x-axis). Meaning [tex]z=\sqrt{16-y^2}[/tex] (independent of x).

Can I get this volume by integration, or would I just need to apply some kind of finite element approach? Thanks in advance; most all of the volume integrals I could find online or in a text are just volumes of revolution.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2014 #2
    yes, in order to do this it requires that the bounds of integration be functions instead of numbers.

[itex]\int_{x_{0}}^{x_{1}}\int_{y_{0}(x)}^{y_{1}(x)}z(x,y) dydx[/itex]

here y1(x) is greater than y0(x) throughout the interval where x0<x<x1
    look up "double integrals" for more.

also, given your problem it would be far easier to use a change of coordinates(most likely polar coordinates)

4. Sep 18, 2014 #3
    Ah yes. I knew I was missing something (it requires that the bounds of integration be functions instead of numbers). I was having trouble making that mental leap. And I will look into the polar coordinates. I hadn't thought of those for a few years :). Thanks!

5. Sep 25, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem here is that this is not a solid at all. With just the information that "[itex]y= x^2+ 4[/itex]", (x, y) is restricted to that parabola and adding z (height) just gives a "wall" which has area, not volume. Perhaps you meant to add another boundary and have x and y inside the bounded region? Say "y between [itex]y= x^2+ 4[/itex] and [itex]y= 12- x^2[/itex]. Those two curves intersect at (-2, 8) and (2, 8). With height [itex] \sqrt{16- y^2}[/itex], the volume is given by [tex]\int_{x= -2}^2\int_{y= x^2+ 4}^{12- x^2}\sqrt{16- y^2} dy dx[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook