1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketching inequalities involving complex numbers

1. Jun 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Sketch all complex numbers z which satisfy the given condition:

[itex]|z-i|\geq|z-1|[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]z=a+bi[/itex]

[itex]|z|=\sqrt{a^{2}-b^{2}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

First I find the boundary between the regions where the inequality holds and does not hold by replacing the inequality sign with an equality sign. Then I substitute z=a+bi into the equation and solve for b:

[itex]|(a+bi)-i|=|(a+bi)-1|[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{(a)^{2}+(bi-i)^{2}}=\sqrt{(a-1)^{2}-b^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]a=-b[/itex]

So the boundary cuts through the origin and has a slope of -1.

To find which side of the boundary the equality holds, I can plug random values from different sides of the boundary, in this case z=-1-i and z=1+i.

Doing this, I get [itex]\sqrt{-3}\geq\sqrt{3}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{1}\geq\sqrt{-1}[/itex]

What do I do from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2012 #2
    This is incorrect. [itex]|z| = \sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/itex]

You can also solve this without using a and b, in a rather simple way. This how I would try, by drawing the graph. [itex]|z-i|[/itex] represents all circles(vectors) with center at (0,1) and [itex]|z-1|[/itex] represents circles with center (1,0). The perpendicular bisector of the line joining these two points gives the condition when [itex]|z-i|=|z-1|[/itex]. So, which side of the curve would you sketch z, such that [itex]|z-i|>|z-1|[/itex]?

Try drawing a graph, and it should become really simple to figure out :smile:

4. Jun 7, 2012 #3
    Ah, I thought i was included in the formula. I re-did the entire thing with the correct form, and I got it now. Thanks! :)

5. Jun 7, 2012 #4
    Graphically, modulus/absolute value represents the magnitude of distance between the point and origin. Keeping that in mind, its easy to see why it comes out to be [itex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook