Sketching inequalities involving complex numbers

In summary, the task is to sketch all complex numbers that satisfy the condition |z-i|≥|z-1|. This can be done by finding the boundary between the regions where the inequality holds and doesn't hold, which can be done by replacing the inequality sign with an equality sign and solving for b. The boundary cuts through the origin with a slope of -1. To determine which side of the boundary the equality holds, plug in random values from different sides of the boundary and compare them. The correct formula for |z| is \sqrt{a^2+b^2}. Modulus/absolute value represents the magnitude of distance between a point and the origin, making it easy to understand the solution graphically.
phosgene

Homework Statement

Sketch all complex numbers z which satisfy the given condition:

[itex]|z-i|\geq|z-1|[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]z=a+bi[/itex]

[itex]|z|=\sqrt{a^{2}-b^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I find the boundary between the regions where the inequality holds and does not hold by replacing the inequality sign with an equality sign. Then I substitute z=a+bi into the equation and solve for b:

[itex]|(a+bi)-i|=|(a+bi)-1|[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{(a)^{2}+(bi-i)^{2}}=\sqrt{(a-1)^{2}-b^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]a=-b[/itex]

So the boundary cuts through the origin and has a slope of -1.

To find which side of the boundary the equality holds, I can plug random values from different sides of the boundary, in this case z=-1-i and z=1+i.

Doing this, I get [itex]\sqrt{-3}\geq\sqrt{3}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{1}\geq\sqrt{-1}[/itex]

What do I do from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]|z|=\sqrt{a^{2}-b^{2}}[/itex]

This is incorrect. [itex]|z| = \sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/itex]

You can also solve this without using a and b, in a rather simple way. This how I would try, by drawing the graph. [itex]|z-i|[/itex] represents all circles(vectors) with center at (0,1) and [itex]|z-1|[/itex] represents circles with center (1,0). The perpendicular bisector of the line joining these two points gives the condition when [itex]|z-i|=|z-1|[/itex]. So, which side of the curve would you sketch z, such that [itex]|z-i|>|z-1|[/itex]?

Try drawing a graph, and it should become really simple to figure out :smile:

Ah, I thought i was included in the formula. I re-did the entire thing with the correct form, and I got it now. Thanks! :)

phosgene said:
Ah, I thought i was included in the formula. I re-did the entire thing with the correct form, and I got it now. Thanks! :)

Graphically, modulus/absolute value represents the magnitude of distance between the point and origin. Keeping that in mind, its easy to see why it comes out to be [itex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/itex]

1. What is the definition of a complex number?

A complex number is a number that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit defined as the square root of -1.

2. How do you graph inequalities involving complex numbers?

To graph inequalities involving complex numbers, you first need to plot the complex numbers on the complex plane. Then, you can shade the region that satisfies the inequality on the complex plane. The shaded region will represent the solution set of the inequality.

3. What are the rules for sketching inequalities involving complex numbers?

The rules for sketching inequalities involving complex numbers are similar to those for real numbers. For example, when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, the direction of the inequality sign will be reversed. Additionally, when multiplying or dividing by a complex number, you must also consider the modulus of the complex number.

4. Can complex numbers be compared using inequalities?

Yes, complex numbers can be compared using inequalities. Just like real numbers, complex numbers can be ordered on a number line. This means that you can use inequality symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥ to compare complex numbers.

5. What are some real-life applications of sketching inequalities involving complex numbers?

Sketching inequalities involving complex numbers can be used in various fields of science and engineering, such as signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics. It can also be used in economics and finance to represent constraints and optimize solutions.