Skew-symmetric matrices and subspaces

In summary, the direct sum of W1 and W2 is not Mnxn(F) because the diagonal entries in W1 and W2 must be equal, but the nonzero matrix [[1,1],[1,1]] is both symmetric and skew-symmetric in characteristic 2, so the direct sum is not unique in this case.
Catchfire

Homework Statement

Let W1 be the set of all nxn skew-symmetric matrices with entries from a field F. Assume F is not characteristic 2 and let W2 be a subspace of Mnxn(F) consisting of all nxn symmetric matrices. Prove the direct sum of W1 and W2 is Mnxn(F).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll just do this for n = 3 for ease of formatting.

Assume A is in W1 and B is in W2.
A = [itex]\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
0 & b & c \\
-b & 0 & d \\
-c & -d & 0 \end{array} \right)[/itex]

B = [itex]\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
e & f & g \\
f & e & h \\
g & h & e \end{array} \right)[/itex]

A+B = [itex]\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
e & b+f & c+g \\
f-b & e & d+h \\
g-c & h-d & e \end{array} \right)[/itex]

For elements ax,y = ay,x in A they must both equal 0. ∴ W1 [itex]\cap[/itex] W2 = {0}

So I have one part of the direct sum proof but the W1+W2 = Mnxn(F) part isn't working for me, clearly the diagonal entries can't be all the same.

I guess the first thing I'm wondering about is how to use the assumption that F isn't characteristic 2. I don't see how that assumption helps me at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
The usual way to split a matrix A into symmetric and skew-symmetric is that (A+A^T)/2 is symmetric and (A-A^T)/2 is skew-symmetric (where ^T means transpose) and their sum is A. You are going to hit a glitch in characteristic 2. Because then 2=1+1 is not invertible.

Interesting I haven't seen those definitions before.
OK so the characteristic 2 condition is more of an edge case issue than anything?

Catchfire said:
Interesting I haven't seen those definitions before.
OK so the characteristic 2 condition is more of an edge case issue than anything?

It's not really a definition. It's a trick to define the projections onto the subspaces. And you could think of characteristic 2 as an edge case, I suppose. But the fundamental problem is that, e.g., the nonzero matrix [[1,1],[1,1]] is both symmetric AND skew-symmetric in characteristic 2. In fact, there is no difference between being symmetric and skew-symmetric. Because x=(-x).

Last edited:
thank you so much dick! you enlightened me about my homework due tmr!

1. What is a skew-symmetric matrix?

A skew-symmetric matrix is a square matrix where the elements below the main diagonal are equal to the negative of the elements above the main diagonal. In other words, if you were to reflect the matrix over its main diagonal, the resulting matrix would be equal to the negative of the original matrix.

2. How do you determine if a matrix is skew-symmetric?

To determine if a matrix is skew-symmetric, you can check if the matrix is equal to the negative of its transpose. If this condition is met, then the matrix is skew-symmetric. Another way to check is to see if all the elements below the main diagonal are equal to the negative of the elements above the main diagonal.

3. What are some properties of skew-symmetric matrices?

One property of skew-symmetric matrices is that the main diagonal is always made up of zeros. Another property is that the determinant of a skew-symmetric matrix is always either 0 or a negative number. Additionally, the eigenvalues of a skew-symmetric matrix always come in pairs of opposite sign.

4. What is a subspace of a skew-symmetric matrix?

A subspace of a skew-symmetric matrix is a subset of the original matrix that also satisfies the conditions of a skew-symmetric matrix. This means that the elements below the main diagonal are equal to the negative of the elements above the main diagonal.

5. How are skew-symmetric matrices and subspaces used in science?

Skew-symmetric matrices and subspaces have many applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. They are often used to represent physical quantities such as angular momentum and torque. They are also used in mathematical models to describe systems with certain symmetries, such as in quantum mechanics and fluid dynamics.