1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sliding sleeve on a rotating bar with two springs

1. Dec 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    P45) In the arrangement shown in figure, the sleeve M of mass m is fixed between two identical springs whose combined stiffness is equal to k. The sleeve can slide without friction over a horizontal bar AB. The arrangement rotates with a constant angular velocity w about a vertical axis passing through the middle of the bar. Find the period of small oscillations of the sleeve. At what values of w will there be no oscillations of the sleeve?

2. Relevant equations
    T=2âˆ/(k/m-ω2)1/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got this answer by following the pseudo force approach but got stuck when I tried to do it with the normal method without pseudo force. Can we do it without using pseudo forces? And if yes then how?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2013 #2
    Is anyone there to reply?

4. Dec 22, 2013 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you familiar with how to express acceleration in polar coordinates?

5. Dec 22, 2013 #4
    No. Its not in the curriculum I am doing.

6. Dec 22, 2013 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm afraid I don't see a nice way to do it other than using polar coordinates . :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted