1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sliding time before a ball begins to roll on a horizontal surface

1. Jun 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball is released along a horizontal surface with a co-efficient of friction Us at a speed V. Find the time it takes for the ball to start rolling (leave the moment of inertia as I).

2. Relevant equations

Quite a few, all of them are stated in my working (that I believe are relevant).

3. The attempt at a solution

58OIuEc.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What is your reasoning?

4. Jun 9, 2014 #3
    After reviewing my lecture notes I found that I copied down a different solution. I attempted to redo the problem but came up with this solution, I must of either copied the answer incorrectly or made a mistake in the above working.

In regards to reasoning The Torque net must be equal to the frictional force acting directly below the ball multiplied by the radius, R. I assumed that the initial rotational velocity was zero. Using Torque(net) = I x alpha I found an expression for alpha. As the initial rotational velocity was equal to zero alpha = w/t.

I made the assumption that then the ball stopped rolling, V=Rw and solved for V. Using the kinematic equation v = u + at I solved for u (the initial linear velocity) and then solved for t.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  5. Jun 9, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your method and result are both correct. Be careful with the signs, sometimes you wrote them incorrectly. The friction accelerates rotation but decelerates translation: Initially the ball slides, so α=dω/dt=μmg/I, ω=μmgt/I. μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction. At the same time, friction decelerates the translational motion of the CM: a=-μg, v=v0-μgt.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted