1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slope of Linear function

1. Nov 26, 2014 #1
    • Member warned about posting problems without the template and with no effort
    Hello,
    I'm having a hard time solving a linear function slope problem.So I would be thankful if someone could provide me with an answer and explanation of the problem.

The problem is the following: Find the possible slopes of a line that passes through(4,3) so that the portion of the line in the first quadrant forms a triangle of area 27 with the positive coordinate axes.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To determine the triangle area you will need to calculate where the line crosses the axes.
    Start with a drawing. Give the general form of a line through (4,3) with slope m and solve x for y = 0 and y for x = 0.

4. Nov 26, 2014 #3
    Are you able to see how a line can form the hypotenuse of a right triangle with the positive coordinate axes?

Chet

5. Nov 26, 2014 #4
    I've tried to find where the line crosses the axes, but I ended up with many variables with no answer.

I would really appreciate it if you could provide the answer with an explanation.

6. Nov 26, 2014 #5
    Show us the details of what you did. Then we can help you. That's what this is all about.

Chet

7. Nov 26, 2014 #6
    Sorry for not posting my solution attempt. I'm Kind of new to this website.

I assumed that one of the possible lines crosses the x-axis at (a,0) and the y-axis at (0,b) and that a*b=54 since (Area of triangle*2 )=27*2=ab. I used the the two-intercept form of the line equation.

The solution attempt: (-b*x/a)+b=y → bx+ay=ab →4b+3a=54
    this is where I ended up
    I tried to assigning numbers to satisfy the equation 4b+3a=54 , and the results I got was( a=12 and b=4.5) and (b=9 and a=6)
    so the slopes are (-3/2) and (-3/8)

I don't know if there is any other possible slopes or how to make sure there isn't. Also, is there a way to find the slopes without ending up assigning numbers to satisfy 4b+3a=ab; that is, a way to find the answer without dealing with two variables.

8. Nov 26, 2014 #7

You were very close to having it solved.

You can still use ab= 54 again by substituting for either b or a in the above equation. This will give you an equation exclusively in terms of either a or b.

Chet

9. Nov 26, 2014 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Those are the only two solutions. The easiest way to see this is to use a single variable (slope = ##-s##), and write the equation of the line as
    [tex] y = 3 - s(x-4)[/tex]
    Note that when ##x = 4## we have ##y = 3##, as we need; and the slope is ##-s##, as stated. You can find the x- and y-intercepts in terms of ##s##: to find the x-intercept ##B## (= "base"), set ##y = 0## and solve for ##x## in terms of ##s##. To find the y-intercept ##H## (= "height"), just put ##x = 0##. Now the area ##A = \frac{1}{2} BH## becomes a function of ##s##. Setting ##A = 27## yields a quadratic equation for ##s##, so has at most two roots. In this case it does have exactly two positive, real roots that you can find using the quadratic-root formula.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted