Small mass element for laminar (moment of inertia)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
jamie.j1989
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
Hi, I was just going over the moment of inertia for a 2D lamina, I've been happy with writing the small mass element dM as dM = ρdxdy where ρ is the area density, but for some reason decided on doing it like this,

M(x,y) = ρxy

so

dM = [itex]\frac{∂M}{∂x}[/itex]dx + [itex]\frac{∂M}{∂y}[/itex]dy
= ρ(ydx + xdy)

This is obviously not the same, and does not give the same answer when substituting in for dM in the moment of inertia tensor. I would like to know if there's a difference between the dM's, and if so why? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
M(x,y) = ρxy

This means the mass increases with increasing x and y which I don't think is what you want to model. But if it was then ρ is not constant and should be a function of x and y instead.