1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smallest number field containing pi

1. May 7, 2008 #1
    1) Let F be the smallest number field containing pi. Prove that F is countable.

The first trouble I am facing is: What actually is the smallest number field containing pi? How can we know its cardnality?

Could someone please help me? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First show the field must be infinite. Then the smallest it can be is countable. To show it's countable try to construct it.

4. May 7, 2008 #3
    But what is the field?

e.g. the smallest number field is the set of rational numbers

What is the smallest number field containing pi? How can we find the cardnality without knowing what it is?

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  5. May 7, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I told you. YOU have to construct it. You can't look it up in a table of fields. It has to contain Q and it has to contain pi. What else does it have to contain give that it contains Q and pi?

6. May 7, 2008 #5
    Is it a+b*pi, a,b E Q?

7. May 7, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a good start. Now you can add and subtract. But you have to be able to multiply in the field as well. So it had better contain pi^2, right? Better keep expanding the field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?