Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So structural beams are used pretty much everywhere right?

1. May 8, 2008 #1
    like everyday homes and highway bridges and almost every other building right?

just making sure... I mean, ive never actually seen an everyday home being built and you cant see them just by standing inside the house.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can usually see roof beams by going into the crawl space or attic. Most house roofs are built with beams.

4. May 8, 2008 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Go into a basement of most homes, especially an unfinished basement. You will usually see an I-beam as the main cross support for the home. Find the posts and look up.

5. May 8, 2008 #4

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In some parts of the world, there's not a whole lot of basements since moving dirt is lots of work.

6. May 8, 2008 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

That's true, but a home doesn't need a basement to have a structural beam in it. I just used that as an easy to see example. I must admit that I immediately think of here in the US though.

7. May 8, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most houses without basements will only have a steel beam as a lintel across a window or door in an external wall. Of course wooden floor and roof joists are beams in an engineering sense.

8. May 8, 2008 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Building (including housing) frames are composed of structural beams (columns or posts, joists, purlins, sills, . . .). Some areas have trusses for roofs, while others use clear spans.

Bridges use variety of structural forms depending on geometry, size, material and contruction methods. Some use cables, while others use various beams, which include not only I beams, but box beams, C-channels and plates or slabs.

Some houses in the US have basements, while others are built on piers or posts, and still others are build on slabs. It depends on the environment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?