So the statement sin(n+1)pi/2 = cos(n)pi/2 is true by this property.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 15K views
SVXX
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Question - Find the Fourier series for f(x) = |cos(x)| in the interval (-π, π).
Right, I attempted the question and the integration that followed. I'm having trouble in the integration itself..
Firstly I found that f(x) is an even function, so the sine term(bn) of the Fourier expansion would be zero and that I can use a property of integration to write

gif.latex?a_0%20=%20\frac{1}{\pi}%20\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}f(x)dx.gif
as
gif.latex?a_0%20=%20\frac{2}{\pi}%20\int_{0}^{\pi}f(x)dx.gif
and similarly so for an.

%20=%20\frac{1}{\pi}%20\int_{0}^{\pi}[cos(n-1)x%20\hspace{1mm}%20+%20\hspace{1mm}%20cos(n+1)x]dx.gif


frac{1}{\pi}[\frac{sin(n-1)x}{n-1}]_0%20^\pi%20+%20\frac{1}{\pi}[\frac{sin(n+1)x}{n+1}]_0%20^\pi.gif


I computed a0 to be zero, but the trouble is, I'm getting an to be zero too, and if that is so, there will be no Fourier series! Could someone please point out my mistake?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hints :

1. One period of |cos(x)| extends from -pi/2 to pi/2. Check your limits.

2. Beware divide by zero.
 
Thanks for the hints...I figured out what I was doing wrong in the integration. I had to break the intervals at pi/2 as |cos(x)| = cos(x) for 0 < x < pi/2 and = - cos(x) for pi/2 < x < pi.
I referred a popular book from the college library today which proved me correct. But what I don't understand is the last part of the solution that was given in that book...it stated that sin(n+1)pi/2 = cos(n)pi/2...how is this so?
 
SVXX said:
Thanks for the hints...I figured out what I was doing wrong in the integration. I had to break the intervals at pi/2 as |cos(x)| = cos(x) for 0 < x < pi/2 and = - cos(x) for pi/2 < x < pi.
I referred a popular book from the college library today which proved me correct. But what I don't understand is the last part of the solution that was given in that book...it stated that sin(n+1)pi/2 = cos(n)pi/2...how is this so?

The complementary relation between sin and cos tells us that sin x = cos (pi/2 - x) and visa versa.

So sin (n+1)pi/2 = cos (pi/2 -(n+1)pi/2) = cos (-n pi/2).

Now since cos is an even function then cos (-n pi/2) = cos (n pi/2).