Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So what exactly is an osculating plane? r'(t) X r (t)? Am I right?

1. Sep 27, 2010 #1
    So what exactly is an osculating plane? r'(t) X r"(t)? Am I right?

From what I know it is a plane that kisses a point on the curve at point t of curve f(t) and it is a plane normal to r'(t) X r"(t)? Am I right?

So to look for this osculating plane I simply have to find the cross product of r'(t) and r"(t)?

What does it look like on a xyz graph?

====================
    EDIT: By the way per definition of the equation of a plane: a(x-x0) + b(y-y0 + c(z-z0) I need to find

a) a point on the plane (x0,y0,z0)
    b) a vector normal to the plane <a,b,c>

Hence if I am looking for the osculating plane I would need:

a) a point on the osculating plane (x0,y0,z0)
    b) B(t) which happens to be the vector normal to my osculating plane B(t) = T(t) X N(t), from this I find my desired <a,b,c>

I put it all together and I get my osculating plane of form: a(x-x0) + b(y-y0 + c(z-z0). (Right or wrong?)
    ==============================
    So what exactly is the cross product r'(t) X r"(t) for? Cutting down time so I dont have to go through the tedious process of finding T(t) and N(t)?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2010 #2
    Re: So what exactly is an osculating plane? r'(t) X r"(t)? Am I right?

You are right. Since the osculating plane passes through the curve at some point, you can take x0, y0, z0 as a point on the curve.
    You don't have to find T and N (by the way, what do you mean by N?) to find a, b and c, but just r' and r''. What's so tedious on differentiating two times the curve?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook