So, what is the problem asking for? Integration by Parts for ∫(z^3e^z)dz

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
narutoish
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


∫((z^3)(e^z ))dz

Homework Equations



I just tried u dv - ∫v du

The Attempt at a Solution



u = z^3 dv = e^z
du = 3z^2 v = e^z

= z^3e^z - ∫(3e^z (z^2)) dz

I got this far but after that if I try integration by parts again, it gets too confusing.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
narutoish said:

Homework Statement


∫((z^3)(e^z ))dz


Homework Equations



I just tried u dv - ∫v du


The Attempt at a Solution



u = z^3 dv = e^z
du = 3z^2 v = e^z

= z^3e^z - ∫(3e^z (z^2)) dz

I got this far but after that if I try integration by parts again, it gets too confusing.

Integrate [itex]∫(3e^{z} (z^{2})) dz[/itex] with integration by parts till you get the term[itex]∫e^{z}dz[/itex]
 
narutoish said:

Homework Statement


∫((z^3)(e^z ))dz


Homework Equations



I just tried u dv - ∫v du


The Attempt at a Solution



u = z^3 dv = e^z
du = 3z^2 v = e^z

= z^3e^z - ∫(3e^z (z^2)) dz

I got this far but after that if I try integration by parts again, it gets too confusing.

You can avoid confusion by using some extra symbols. Let ##I = \int z^3 e^z \, dz##. Integration by parts gives you ##I = z^3 e^z - 3I_1##, where ##I_1 = \int z^2 e^z \, dz##. Now look at ##I_1## in the same way, etc. Using separate symbols like that helps to keep things straight and to reduce errors.