1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with an intermediate integral

1. Dec 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have been trying to evaluate an integral that has come up in the process of me solving a different problem, but am completely stuck. As I have confirmed with Wolfram Alpha that the integral once solved yields the correct solution to my problem. However, I am trying to better my ability to solve integrals without the help of tables or computer aids, so I am trying to find the correct solution to this one. Also, because my issue deals more with the math rather than the physics of the problem, I have included it here among the Math section. If this was inappropriate to put this here or if this is too little to prove that I have done enough work, please let me know and I will take this post down and include the full problem in the Physics section.

The integral is ## \int_{-a}^{a}\frac{1}{(z^2+a^2)(z^2+2a^2)^{1/2}} dz ##

The problem here simply is that every time I attempt this integral, the math becomes a "runaway train". I can use any help or hints with regards to how to fully evaluate this integral.

2. Relevant equations

## \int_{-a}^{a}\frac{1}{(z^2+a^2)(z^2+2a^2)^{1/2}} dz ##

3. The attempt at a solution

I started off by using integration by parts and designating ##dv=[z^2+a^2]^{-1}## and ##u=[z^2+2a^2]^{-1/2}##. This led to the result of ##\frac{1}{a}(arctan(\frac{z}{a}))[z^2+2a^2]^{-1/2}\bigg|_{-a}^a +\int_{-a}^a\frac{z}{a}(arctan(\frac{z}{a}))[z^2+2a^2]^{-3/2} dz ##. When I try to evaluate the integral in this difference, that's when I go into a long never ending train of Integration by Parts. Any help with this integration would be must appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Preliminary simplification is always worthwhile. If you call your integral ##F(a)##, changing variables to ##z = ay## gives
    [tex] F(a) = \frac{1}{a^2} F(1), \\
    \text{where } \;\; F(1) = \int_{-1}^1 \frac{dy}{(y^2+1)\sqrt{y^2+2}} = 2 \int_0^1 \frac{dy}{(y^2+1)\sqrt{y^2+2}} [/tex]
    Submit this last integration to Wolfram Alpha (a free on-line version of Mathematical lite) to see what you get.

Alternatively, try the change of variable ##u = y/\sqrt{y^2+2}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted