Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Soap or cream dispenser

  1. Jul 9, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone,

    Just new to the forum and a novice electronic geek. I am trying to build a small cream dispenser with my daughter. Basically a hand held device that when you press a button automatically squeezes the bottle and dispenses a preset amount of cream. I know there are probably professional made ones out there but will be fun building one with her.

    That being said, I am ok with the electronic circuitry but I am not sure what are the various ways a small handheld bottle can be squeezed. I pulled apart an electronic stapler but it was a series of gears that I could not possibly make. Is there some other easier mechanical mechanism that I can reasonably and cheaply build with her over a weekend or two.

    Just to clarify, I am not talking about the big 16oz cream bottles, just the handheld 1 or 2 oz ones that you can carry in a bag or that you find for 99 cents in most drug stores.

    Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2014 #2

    Simon Bridge

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    The usual solution is to put the cream in a syringe and use a motor+rod to drive the plunger.
    Similarly, a lot of creams come in pump-nozzle bottles - you know, where you press on the spigot and cream comes out? You can easily get a motor to work oe of those.

    Squeezing a tube would be done using rollers - a bottle may be similar, depends on the details of the bottle.
    You can put a bottle in a vise, and use a motor to drive the screws?

    What you really want to know is what it would take to squeeze the bottle as much as needed.
  4. Jul 11, 2014 #3
    Ok. I like the suggestions. Did not think about using rollers for tubes. Do you have any examples or sketches I can look at.
  5. Jul 12, 2014 #4

    Simon Bridge

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    There used to be a roller device for toothpaste tubes - a quick google of those terms will show you the manual version in several designs.
  6. Jul 13, 2014 #5
    Just saw it. Perfect. Thanks
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook