DIY Cream Dispenser: How to Build a Handheld Squeezer with Your Daughter

• Thread starter noanalyst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Soap
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a handheld cream dispenser and the different ways to squeeze the bottle to dispense the cream. The suggested solutions include using a motor and rod to drive the plunger, using a pump-nozzle bottle, or using rollers similar to a toothpaste tube. The conversation ends with the person expressing gratitude for the helpful suggestions and finding a roller device for toothpaste tubes.
noanalyst
Hi everyone,

Just new to the forum and a novice electronic geek. I am trying to build a small cream dispenser with my daughter. Basically a hand held device that when you press a button automatically squeezes the bottle and dispenses a preset amount of cream. I know there are probably professional made ones out there but will be fun building one with her.

That being said, I am ok with the electronic circuitry but I am not sure what are the various ways a small handheld bottle can be squeezed. I pulled apart an electronic stapler but it was a series of gears that I could not possibly make. Is there some other easier mechanical mechanism that I can reasonably and cheaply build with her over a weekend or two.

Just to clarify, I am not talking about the big 16oz cream bottles, just the handheld 1 or 2 oz ones that you can carry in a bag or that you find for 99 cents in most drug stores.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
The usual solution is to put the cream in a syringe and use a motor+rod to drive the plunger.
Similarly, a lot of creams come in pump-nozzle bottles - you know, where you press on the spigot and cream comes out? You can easily get a motor to work oe of those.

Squeezing a tube would be done using rollers - a bottle may be similar, depends on the details of the bottle.
You can put a bottle in a vise, and use a motor to drive the screws?

What you really want to know is what it would take to squeeze the bottle as much as needed.

Ok. I like the suggestions. Did not think about using rollers for tubes. Do you have any examples or sketches I can look at.

There used to be a roller device for toothpaste tubes - a quick google of those terms will show you the manual version in several designs.

Just saw it. Perfect. Thanks

What is the purpose of a soap or cream dispenser?

A soap or cream dispenser is used to dispense liquid soap or lotion for hand washing or skincare routines. It eliminates the need for manually opening and closing a soap or lotion bottle, making the process more hygienic and convenient.

How does a soap or cream dispenser work?

A soap or cream dispenser typically works by pressing a button or pumping a lever, which releases a pre-measured amount of soap or lotion. Some dispensers may also use motion sensors to automatically dispense the product when a hand is placed under the dispenser.

What types of soap or cream can be used in a dispenser?

Most dispensers are designed to work with liquid soap or lotion. However, some may also be compatible with foam soap or thicker cream products. It is important to check the product specifications before using a dispenser with a different type of soap or cream.

How do I refill a soap or cream dispenser?

To refill a dispenser, first, remove the top or pump mechanism. Then, pour the liquid soap or lotion into the dispenser container, making sure not to overfill it. Finally, replace the top or pump and use as usual.

How do I clean and maintain a soap or cream dispenser?

To clean a dispenser, first, empty any remaining product from the container. Then, use warm water and soap to clean the inside and outside of the dispenser. Rinse thoroughly and dry before refilling. It is also important to regularly clean the pump or nozzle to prevent clogs. Additionally, it is recommended to replace the dispenser every 6-12 months to maintain hygiene and functionality.

Back