Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Software that shows how CPU registers are being used during execution

1. May 23, 2014 #1
    Hello
    Can any Assembly Language guru help me remember a software name which shows how registers of CPU are being used after execution of each ASM instruction? I vaguely remember that there used to be 16-bit program which showed me names/title like AX BX CX DX and values underneath those titles while I write my program using NASM. I also want to know if such software exists for 32-bit and 64-bit OS.
    Please help me remember this. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Any serious debugger should give you access to the machine code and register values.

4. May 24, 2014 #3
    I know that DOS came with a very simple built in debugger called "debug"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debug_(command)
    Maybe that's the one you used. However it doesn't work on modern Windows versions.
    XP was the last version that had the debug program included.

5. May 26, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Many of the better high-level language development packages include a debugger.

If you still program in assembly, there may be a third-party, non-Microsoft debugger which will allow you to peek under the hood.

6. May 27, 2014 #5

rcgldr

Homework Helper

In a Microsoft Visual Studio's debugger session, click on debug, windows, registers, to see the registers. There is also a window for assembler instruction view. The previous debugger, CodeView, also has a register window and the source window can be viewed in source only, source + assembly, or assembly only. For debug, use the "r" command to display the registers.

7. May 27, 2014 #6

SixNein

Gold Member

Like Borek said, any serious setup is going to include the ability to watch registers. Just search through the debug menu after stepping into a program.

If you're using something like notepad++, you'll have to use a separate debugger.

8. May 28, 2014 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Uh ... huh? What does notepad or notepad++ have to do with using a debugger?

9. May 28, 2014 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Notepad++ is reasonably good for working with code when there is no integrated environment (or you have reasons to not use it). If that's the setup you use to develop your software, you have to use a separate compiler and separate debugger. Been there, done that.

10. May 28, 2014 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, thanks Borek, that makes sense. I've only rarely, and only decades ago, had to work in such an environment and had forgotten.

11. May 29, 2014 #10
    WinDBG is a free standalone debugger for Windows. _The_ debugger for systems programming and random hacking on Windows, in fact.

12. May 31, 2014 #11
    If you use Linux, there's a good chance that you already have GDB.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook