1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Software to assist with self study?

1. May 12, 2008 #1

What would be the easiest way to generate random math problems for me to practice with?
    For example, I might want to have five questions that are just basic algebra, five that are polynomial long division, maybe some straight arithmetic thrown in, and perhaps later I could add some harder stuff.
    And if I found I had trouble with something, then on the next batch I could throw in some more practice with whatever I had trouble with.

As a bonus, it would be great to have some geometry or trig questions, or even logic or proofs.

I have found some websites which can generate math worksheets, but they seem limited to basic arithmetic.

I could probably hack something together to do this for me, but I am sure software like I describe already exists and there is no reason to re-invent the wheel.

I have been studying for my finals every day for the past few weeks, and for the first time in my life, math no longer scares me, and I actually enjoy doing it.
    So, I think between semesters I will continue to practice every day to stay fresh so I can jump right into my next class.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2008 #2

Of course replacing the [dot] with .

I came across this recently - have not tried it yet, but looks like it might be what you're looking for.
  4. May 13, 2008 #3
    That's not really what I was looking for, but thank you.
    That just plays back facts that you give it beforehand.

I want something that actually uses a computer to generate math problems.

Of course I googled it before making this post, and I have found some programs, I was just wondering if anyone could make a recommendation.
  5. May 13, 2008 #4
    I doubt that this would be a reasonable solution for a single individual because of the high cost, but you could look at Mathematica for the Classroom:

This produce is targeted at school teachers. Just as you say, it can generate practice exercises of specific types along with their solutions. It can also do much more, and it has the full power of Mathematica, which explains the heavy price tag. This is especially justified if you plan to continue your math education.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?