Software to make line graph, Like Excel?

In summary, the conversation is about finding software that can convert numbers into a line graph, similar to Excel, but able to handle a larger amount of data. The person is also looking for a way to convert a sinewave into a triangular wave and is having trouble with noise in the output. They are considering using gnuplot or Matlab, but are looking for a free option and are recommended R and the ggplot2 library as an alternative.
tonyjeffs
Is there any software that will convert a series of numbers into a simple line graph, the same as Excel, but allowing me to use a lot more numbers?

I'm writing a program in c to convert a sinewave, or any wave, into a triangular wave.
I've sort of done it, but there is noise in my triangular wave output if the input is of varying frequency, and I don't know for certain why. It is very hard to tell by looking at a page of numbers, so I want to look at a graphical representation of my triangular wave and see what's going wrong. The data, the points on the graph, is too much for excel.

Thanks
Tony

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Matlab of course. Not free, though.

Gnuplot does the trick.
Matlab - £3,000. The opposite of free!

Many thanks
Tony

R is open source software and a library called ggplot2 allows you to make publication quality graphs. A bunch of examples are available at http://www.r-chart.com/" .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I create a line graph using software like Excel?

To create a line graph using software like Excel, you will need to first input your data into a spreadsheet. Then, select the data and click on the "Insert" tab. From there, click on "Insert Line or Area Chart" and choose the type of line graph you want to create.

2. Can I add multiple lines to my line graph in Excel?

Yes, you can add multiple lines to your line graph in Excel. Simply select the data for each line and insert it into the same graph. You can also customize the color, style, and labels for each line.

3. How do I change the scale or axis on my line graph?

To change the scale or axis on your line graph in Excel, right-click on the axis and select "Format Axis." From there, you can adjust the minimum and maximum values, as well as the intervals and labels.

4. Can I export my line graph from Excel to other programs or formats?

Yes, you can export your line graph from Excel to other programs or formats. Simply click on the graph and go to "File" and then "Save As." From there, you can choose the file type and save it to your desired location.

5. Is there a way to add trendlines or data labels to my line graph in Excel?

Yes, you can add trendlines or data labels to your line graph in Excel. Simply click on the graph and go to the "Design" tab. From there, you can select "Add Chart Element" and choose either "Trendline" or "Data Labels."