1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar Cell Physics Coursework (Calculating Internal Resistance)

1. Dec 1, 2009 #1
    Basically I want to Calculate the internal resistance of a solar cell.

I set up a circuit with a voltmeter across the solar cell and an ammeter and variable resistor in series with the solar cell. The variable resistor is the load.

Image at http://elyaschaudhary.schools.officelive.com/video.aspx [Broken]

As i change the resistance the value of current changes which is GOOD
    However the Voltage stays the same BAD

This results is a graph with a horizontal Line implying that internal resistance is 0. BAD

I need the current and voltage to change i think to get a graph which will be able to give me the EMF and Internal resistance.

Could some one please explain how this is done

Thank you very much

Elyas

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How low in resistance did you go? If you short out the solar cell, you will definitely get a lower voltage.

4. Dec 1, 2009 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

If you replace the solar cell with a voltage source (V) and an internal resistance (r) in series, then calculate the measured voltage (V1), you will see that a constant V1 just means that the internal resistance r is small compared to R. You will need to do the experiment again with smaller values of R that do cause a change in V1 in order to calculate r.

5. Dec 1, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Also, the v-i curve for a solar cell is not a straight line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook