Solar Cells that can absorb energy from bulbs/Tubelights

In summary, pretty much any type of photovoltaic cell will give you a little current out with indoor lighting.
salman91
Hi,

I am sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I had an idea of using Polymer-fullerene solar cells (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konarka_Technologies#Polymer-fullerene_solar_cells) in Mobile phones to recharge its battery using Indoor lights.
But , unfortunately, these cells are of NANO-technology. so i don't know how to implement it.

So, is there any other such cells that absorb energy from indoor lights?

Waiting for replies.

Regards.

Engineering news on Phys.org
salman91 said:
Hi,

I am sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I had an idea of using Polymer-fullerene solar cells (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konarka_Technologies#Polymer-fullerene_solar_cells) in Mobile phones to recharge its battery using Indoor lights.
But , unfortunately, these cells are of NANO-technology. so i don't know how to implement it.

So, is there any other such cells that absorb energy from indoor lights?

Waiting for replies.

Regards.

Pretty much any type of photovoltaic cell will give you a little current out with indoor lighting. That's how "solar powered" calculators work:

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1T...ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

There is usually enough power available from indoor lighting to power these LCD/CMOS calculators, but I doubt there is enough (with any reasonably-sized cells) to re-charge batteries...

There are a lot of efforts to "harvest" energy - electromagnetic energy (both visible light all the way through RF frequencies) and mechanical energy (from vibrations).

The aim is usually to harvest enough energy in one day while being off to make a 5-minute emergency phone call. This is a huge feat - which tells you a little bit about how much power is consumed by a device relative to how much one can harvest.

I think if current technology could do this practically, it would have been done already. Its sad, but think of the most obscure applications or great ideas you can think of, and then search it in google and you will see someone else almost always already came up with the idea before you did. If it interests you, its worth investigating, but the fact that something obvious isn't already being done can give you an idea of how practical it is.

1. How do solar cells absorb energy from bulbs and tubelights?

Solar cells contain a material, usually silicon, that is able to convert light energy into electrical energy through a process called the photovoltaic effect. When light hits the solar cell, it creates a flow of electrons, generating an electrical current.

2. Can solar cells work with any type of bulb or tubelight?

Yes, solar cells can absorb energy from any source of light, regardless of the type of bulb or tubelight. However, the amount of energy generated will vary depending on the intensity and spectrum of the light source.

3. How efficient are solar cells at absorbing energy from bulbs and tubelights?

The efficiency of solar cells in converting light energy into electrical energy can range from 15-20%. This means that for every 100 watts of light energy, the solar cell can generate 15-20 watts of electrical energy.

4. Can solar cells still absorb energy from bulbs and tubelights at night?

No, solar cells require light energy in order to generate electricity. They are not able to absorb energy from bulbs and tubelights when they are turned off or during nighttime when there is no natural light source.

5. What are the advantages of using solar cells to absorb energy from bulbs and tubelights?

Using solar cells can help reduce our reliance on non-renewable energy sources and decrease our carbon footprint. It is also a cost-effective and sustainable way to generate electricity, as solar cells have a long lifespan and require minimal maintenance.