Stargazing Solar imaging and techniques

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
Gold Member
They are actually a very respectable Ha solar scope
I suppose that the visual images will be not very stunning through any useful narrow band filter. Monochrome or false colour with the right exposure can do wonders - as it does for nebulae.

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
What I was looking at was on the edge ('limb"?) and was perhaps a few percent of the diameter of the disc. Whether that was what my companions were referring to is anyone's guess; they may have spotted flares too. But I thought the prominences (?) did change in size.

Yup, definitely prominences, not flares. Ohhh yeah I have often detected changes even in 15 - 30 mins of observing .... it's pretty amazing seeing the sun do stuff in real time.

I was surprised at the apparent speed if you translate it to many thousands of km/hr.
Coronal mass ejections CME's can vary from ~ 20 km/sec to ~ 3000 km/sec

I mean, when you think of the time that stuff ejected by the Sun takes to get here then it doesn't seem to scale with the apparent distances / heights of the features I was seeing. I have obviously got something wrong in my intuition about this.

CME's take on avg 2-3 days to get here (150 million km). those prominences in that last photo I posted will be between 50 and 150 km in height above the sun

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I suppose that the visual images will be not very stunning through any useful narrow band filter. Monochrome or false colour with the right exposure can do wonders - as it does for nebulae.

most solar scopes produce a reddish colour for the sun, after all we are viewing down in the red end of the spectrum .... 656.28 nm

Remember a He/Ne laser is 633 nm

D

Last edited:

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
Gold Member
most solar scopes produce a reddish colour for the sun, after all we are viewing down in the red end of the spectrum .... 656.28 nm
Obvious when you think about it. o:)
But that's what you get from all that false colour in images - example: the 'photos' of that black hole we all saw in the papers and on TV.