Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar PV Community Project Connection without Net Metering

1. Feb 9, 2017 #1
    Good afternoon,

I am currently trying to unnderstand Community Solar projects. I know how it works in the US and Europe but in our country the regulation of Net Metering does not exist. Can I find someone in the community who has thought about connecting retail clients or industrial clients that can buy the produced enegry from a shared solar project? The Meter from the normal utility is installed directly at the house or warehouse (industry-clients) So the utility will always say the client uses their enegy instead of our solar energy and won`t help us billing. If we would connect behind the utility meter the costs of connecting all clients will be too expansive.

Any addtional hits from you guys?

Thanks a lot for your help on advance,

Manuel

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What country are you asking about? Why not just sell your power back into the grid from your PV plant, and use the proceeds to help offset the residents' power bills?

4. Feb 9, 2017 #3
    Thanks a lot. Colombia in South America. The local utility doesnt allow it.

5. Feb 9, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

If they don't allow you using their network. and you cannot avoid using their network, you cannot do anything.

6. Feb 9, 2017 #5

berkeman

7. Feb 12, 2017 #6
    I asked about tesla's powerwall before, and the price is around US$5000 for the 14kW unit. are you willing to make that kind of investment?

8. Feb 12, 2017 #7

berkeman

It seemed like the OP said the only other alternative was to run a parallel power distribution infrastructure between the PV plant and the subscribers. That's pretty expensive too.
    mfb may have summed up the situation the best. It would take a change in the regulations to do an efficient and cost-effective job of distributing this additional PV power generation resource...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted