Solar radiation for the stabilization of satellites?

In summary, a new member is seeking clarification on the use of solar radiation for satellite stabilization and its potential impact on the internal clock. They were informed that all electromagnetic radiation carries momentum, but it may not be significant depending on certain factors. They also raised a question about the connection between radiation and clocks. The use of motor-driven gyros for stabilization was mentioned as an alternative to solar energy.
Fernando Silva
Hi, I'm new here.
I have a doubt regarding solar radiation, I heard in an astronomy class on the use of this solar radiation for the stabilization of satellites in orbit due to mechanical problems with their stabilizers.

Electromagnetic waves emitted through solar radiation stabilize such a satellite because of the radiation pressure. My question is, do other electromagnetic radiations that permeate the solar system do not influence this stabilization? And yet another question about this stabilization, would not this also influence the synchronization of the internal clock of that satellite?

Science news on Phys.org
:welcome:

All electromagnetic radiation carries momentum. Whether this is significant or not depends on the numbers; intensity of the radiation, surface area, and mass of the object. For example, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail

I do not see the connection between radiation and clocks. What did you have in mind?

Fernando Silva said:
I heard in an astronomy class on the use of this solar radiation for the stabilization of satellites in orbit due to mechanical problems with their stabilizers.
Welcome to the PF, Fernando.

What kind of problems were discussed in your class? One form of stabilization is via motor-driven gyros ("reaction wheels"), and that can just use electrical energy gathered by the satellite's solar panels. No momentum transfer is needed for this rotational stabilization. Were you referring to some sort of translation via solar energy momentum (solar sail)?

https://www.centennialofflight.net/essay/Dictionary/STABILIZATION/DI172.htm

1. What is solar radiation?

Solar radiation is the energy emitted by the sun in the form of electromagnetic waves. It is the primary source of energy for our planet and is essential for sustaining life on Earth.

2. How does solar radiation stabilize satellites?

Solar radiation can be harnessed to stabilize satellites by using solar sails or solar panels. Solar sails use the pressure of solar radiation to provide a constant force that can help control the satellite's position and trajectory. Solar panels, on the other hand, convert solar energy into electricity to power the satellite's systems and maintain its stability.

3. Are there any risks associated with using solar radiation for satellite stabilization?

Yes, there are some risks associated with using solar radiation for satellite stabilization. One potential risk is the degradation of solar panels due to prolonged exposure to intense solar radiation. Another risk is the unpredictability of solar radiation, which can cause sudden changes in the satellite's position and stability.

4. How do scientists measure solar radiation for satellite stabilization?

Scientists use instruments called radiometers to measure solar radiation. These devices can measure the intensity, spectrum, and other properties of solar radiation. They are essential for understanding the behavior of solar radiation and its impact on satellite stabilization.

5. Can solar radiation be used for other purposes besides satellite stabilization?

Yes, solar radiation has many other applications besides satellite stabilization. It is widely used for generating electricity through solar panels, heating and cooling buildings through passive solar design, and powering various technological devices such as calculators and watches. It is also crucial for the growth of plants and the production of food through photosynthesis.