1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid Mechanics - Stress-Strain diagram - absorbed energy

1. Jun 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    graph.png

1.The maximum energy (per unit volume) that can be absorbed by the steel alloy without
    sustaining permanent deformation is _______ lb/in^2

1.4. The maximum energy (per unit volume) that can be absorbed bythe steel prior to fracturing is _______ kip/in^2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I remember correctly, stored energy is the area under the graph.
    Since I don't know the equation I will work with estimates.

First, I used the 0.2 % offset method to find the Yield strength of the material and I found the yield strength to be about 65 ksi.
    The area under the straight line is (1/2)(.002)(60E3)=60
    I estimate the rest of the area as a rectangle: (0.002)(60)=120
    which gives a grand total of 180 lb/in^2.

Yet the solution, which is not worked out, claims that the energy is only the first part, namely 60 lb/in^2. I thought a material wouldn't be deformed before it gets to the point of yield strength, and in the previous step I found the yield strength correctly. I'm thinking they did something wrong because the solution even goes on to say "Modulus of resilience"=60PSI.

1.4 should just be the same thing, total area under curve?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

IDK why you are using the 0.2% offset method to determine yield strength, IIRC, 0.2% offset is used for various non-ferrous metals and alloys (like aluminum) which don't exhibit a clear linear stress-strain relationship in the stress-strain curve.

For the test results shown in the graph, there is clearly a linear stress-strain relationship up to a stress of approx. 60 ksi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yield_(engineering)

Once the material is stressed beyond yield, there will be a permanent set (it's kinda the definition of what yield is.)

The modulus of resilience is defined in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resilience_(materials_science)

4. Jun 9, 2015 #3
    So now I'm thoroughly confused as to what the difference between yield strength and elastic limit is.... And if I don't use the .2 % method, then how am I supposed to know where the yield point is? It's not given to me in the problem.

Nevermind, the information was in the wikipedia article, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted