Solid rocket velocity and distance

In summary, the problem involves a solid fuel rocket with an initial mass of 10 kg and a fuel mass of 8 kg. The rocket is launched vertically, burning fuel at a constant rate of 0.225 kg/s and ejecting exhaust gases at a speed of 1980 m/s. The outlet pressure is atmospheric and air resistance is neglected. The task is to calculate the velocity of the rocket 20 seconds after launch and the distance traveled in the same interval. The solution involves using the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation and conservation of mass, with the rocket's mass at any time given by m(t) = 5.5 kg. However, applying the equation yields a negative velocity, indicating an error in the calculations.
MCarsten
Hi there. I'm new to the forum. I apologize if I'm posting at the wrong session. Anyway, here goes the problem: (sorry for any grammar typos).

A solid fuel rocket, home constructed, has initial mass 10 kg; this, fuel is 8 kg. The rocket is launched vertically, from rest; burning the fuel at a constant rate equal to 0.225 kg/s, ejecting the exhaustion gases at a speed of 1980 m/s in relation to the rocket. Assume that the outlet pressure is the atmospheric and that the air resistance can be neglected. Calculate the velocity of the rocket 20 seconds after the launch and the distance traveled in the same interval.

I tried to find the velocity through the integral equation of the conservation of mass, but I do not have the areas. I could assume that they simplify, although I am not sure how to deal with the specific mass or volume, since they vary. I imagine that the values will come by through some ODE.

Thanks, in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
MCarsten said:
Hi there. I'm new to the forum. I apologize if I'm posting at the wrong session. Anyway, here goes the problem: (sorry for any grammar typos).

A solid fuel rocket, home constructed, has initial mass 10 kg; this, fuel is 8 kg. The rocket is launched vertically, from rest; burning the fuel at a constant rate equal to 0.225 kg/s, ejecting the exhaustion gases at a speed of 1980 m/s in relation to the rocket. Assume that the outlet pressure is the atmospheric and that the air resistance can be neglected. Calculate the velocity of the rocket 20 seconds after the launch and the distance traveled in the same interval.

I tried to find the velocity through the integral equation of the conservation of mass, but I do not have the areas. I could assume that they simplify, although I am not sure how to deal with the specific mass or volume, since they vary. I imagine that the values will come by through some ODE.

Thanks, in advance.

There are numerous papers and articles about such "variable mass" dynamical systems; in particular, Google 'rocket equation'.

Ray Vickson said:
There are numerous papers and articles about such "variable mass" dynamical systems; in particular, Google 'rocket equation'.

Yes. I googled for that. Although they all deal with force and that's not the case of the problem. Or at least, that's what I guess. As I said above, I think it is only a problem of conservation of mass, not momentum. Nevertheless, I will give a second look.

MCarsten said:
Yes. I googled for that. Although they all deal with force and that's not the case of the problem. Or at least, that's what I guess. As I said above, I think it is only a problem of conservation of mass, not momentum. Nevertheless, I will give a second look.
If the rocket is burning fuel and ejecting the exhaust out the back, how can this be a conservation of mass?

SteamKing said:
If the rocket is burning fuel and ejecting the exhaust out the back, how can this be a conservation of mass?

You are right. My mistake. I thought the problem could be simplified only to a conservation of mass.

I searched for some equations on the internet and I solved like this:

gif.latex?R%20%3D%20%5Cfrac%7Bdm%7D%7Bdt%7D.gif

if.latex?%5Cint_%7Bt_%7B0%7D%7D%5E%7Bt%7D%20Rdt%20%5Cto%20m%28t%29%20%3D%20m_%7B0%7D%20-%20Rt%5C.gif

where "m0" is (rocket material + rocket fuel) and "R" is the constant rate of exhaustion. So, m0 = 10 kg and R = 0.225 kg/s. This yields m(t) = 5.5 kg.

Applying Tsiolkovsky rocket equation:

gif.latex?m%5Cfrac%7Bdv%7D%7Bdt%7D%20%3D%20-v_%7Brel%7D%5Cfrac%7Bdm%7D%7Bdt%7D.gif

gif.latex?v%20%3D%20-v_%7Brel%7Dln%5Cleft%20%28%20%5Cfrac%7Bm_%7B0%7D%7D%7Bm%7D%20%5Cright%20%29.gif

So:

0kg%7D%7B5%2C5%20%5C%3Bkg%7D%20%5Cright%20%29%20%5C%5C%20%5C%5C%20v%20%3D%20-1183.71%20%28%3F%29.gif
(m/s)

But this yields a negative velocity (not forgetting to mention that the rocket is displacing itself at a rate of 1.18 km/s). What have I done wrong?

1. What factors affect the velocity and distance of a solid rocket?

The velocity and distance of a solid rocket are primarily affected by the amount of propellant, the shape and design of the rocket, and the atmospheric conditions during launch. The amount of thrust generated by the rocket's engine also plays a significant role.

2. How does the shape of a solid rocket affect its velocity and distance?

The shape of a solid rocket can greatly impact its velocity and distance. A more aerodynamic shape can reduce air resistance and increase the rocket's speed and range. Additionally, the shape can also affect the stability of the rocket's flight.

3. Can the velocity and distance of a solid rocket be controlled?

Yes, the velocity and distance of a solid rocket can be controlled by adjusting the amount of propellant and the design of the rocket. Engineers can also use fins and other aerodynamic features to control the rocket's trajectory and distance.

4. What is the relationship between thrust and velocity in a solid rocket?

The thrust generated by a solid rocket engine is directly proportional to its velocity. This means that as the thrust increases, so does the velocity. However, the velocity will eventually reach a maximum value due to factors such as air resistance and the rocket's design.

5. How do atmospheric conditions affect the velocity and distance of a solid rocket?

Atmospheric conditions, such as air density and wind, can have a significant impact on the velocity and distance of a solid rocket. A higher air density can increase air resistance and decrease the rocket's speed and range. Wind can also affect the trajectory of the rocket and alter its intended distance.