(Solid State) low resistivity dependance on temperature

In summary, Constantan is a special alloy used for temperature independent resistance elements. It is expected to have a low density of lattice defects due to its composition of copper and nickel, which increases scattering time and decreases resistivity.
SMC

Homework Statement

For some applications it is important to minimize the temperature dependence of electronic components. For example, there is a special alloy called constantan that can be used for temperature independent resistance elements. Do you expect constantan to have a high or low density of lattice defects? Justify your answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i assume it has low density of lattice defects because if resistance remains constant then scattering time is also constant which means that there are no defects for the electron to scatter off of. would this statement be correct?

thank you for any advice you can give me

Physics news on Phys.org
SMC said:

Homework Statement

For some applications it is important to minimize the temperature dependence of electronic components. For example, there is a special alloy called constantan that can be used for temperature independent resistance elements. Do you expect constantan to have a high or low density of lattice defects? Justify your answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i assume it has low density of lattice defects because if resistance remains constant then scattering time is also constant which means that there are no defects for the electron to scatter off of. would this statement be correct?

thank you for any advice you can give me

Certainly the resistivity depends on defect density, but how is Constantan made? Why does it have a low coefficient of resistivity?

well i know constantan is an alloy of copper and nickel which I guess have fairly small nuclei which which increases scattering time and decreases resistivity. I'm not sure I fully understood what you're asking though

1. What is the concept of low resistivity dependance on temperature in solid state materials?

The concept of low resistivity dependance on temperature in solid state materials refers to the relationship between the electrical resistance of a material and its temperature. In general, as the temperature of a solid state material increases, its resistance decreases. This is due to the increased mobility of charge carriers at higher temperatures.

2. How does the resistivity of a solid state material change with temperature?

The resistivity of a solid state material typically follows a linear or exponential relationship with temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the resistivity either increases or decreases at a constant rate. The specific relationship between resistivity and temperature depends on the material's properties and crystal structure.

3. What factors influence the temperature dependence of resistivity in solid state materials?

The temperature dependence of resistivity in solid state materials is influenced by several factors. These include the material's crystal structure, doping concentration, and impurity content. Additionally, the type of charge carriers present in the material (electrons or holes) and their mobility also play a role in determining the temperature dependence of resistivity.

4. How can the temperature dependence of resistivity in solid state materials be measured?

The temperature dependence of resistivity in solid state materials can be measured using various methods such as four-point probe measurements, Hall effect measurements, and van der Pauw measurements. These techniques involve applying a known voltage or current to the material and measuring the resulting resistance at different temperatures.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the temperature dependence of resistivity in solid state materials?

Understanding the temperature dependence of resistivity in solid state materials is crucial for various applications in electronics and materials science. This knowledge can be used to design and optimize electronic devices such as transistors, semiconductors, and integrated circuits. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new materials for various industries, including renewable energy, telecommunications, and aerospace.